X

Gas cap key gone...

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gas cap key gone...

I just bought a '92 Katana 600, and the keys have been lost. I just found out the gas cap hasn't been "modified"...is there a way I can open this to change the tumblers, or am I going to have to drill the lock out?

Also, is there a trick to turning the petcock? I'm assuming one of those tubes connected to it is a vacuum valve...

try remoering thhe hex heads holding it on the tank and takeing the whole cap to a locksmith and then modify the cap

Comment

I tried that already...4 of them are locators,and the other 4 just hold on the ring outside the cap. You can't take off the cap that way...

Comment

Pull the ignition switch and get the key code, then have keys made for it...

Krey
        93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

I pulled the switch, didn't see any code...do I have to take what's left of the tumbler out? If so, how?

Comment

Dig, dig, dig for an INDEPENDENT locksmith. When I had a similar need, the locksmiths listed in the yellowpages wanted ONE HUNDRED AND FIFTY DOLLARS to make a key. I found a guy who's probably better than they are, and when I brought the tank to him, he only charged me $30.
            "Stevie B" Boudreaux

I ride: '01 Triumph Sprint ST

Projects: Honda CB650 Bobber projects I, II and III

Take care of: 81 Honda CM400,72 Suzuki GT550

Watch over/advise on: 84 Honda Nighthawk 700S (now my son's bike)

For sale, or soon to be: 89 Katana 1100, 84 Honda V45 Magna, 95 Yamaha SECA II, 99 GSXR600, 95 ZX-6, 84 Kaw. KZ700, 01 Bandit 1200, 74 CB360.

Comment

Crow if one key works everything on your bike take the helmet lock off have it keyed and you should be fine. And independent IS the way to go with a locksmith. I payed $18.00 for rekeying and a spare from a small shop here.

Comment

Originally posted by SOS View Post
                Crow if one key works everything on your bike take the helmet lock off have it keyed and you should be fine. And independent IS the way to go with a locksmith. I payed $18.00 for rekeying and a spare from a small shop here.
                I don't know about Katanas specifically, but this usually will not work. The tumblers in the gas cap and the helmet lock/trunk are generally not set to use all the teeth on the key. They just use the first few. The ignition requires every tooth on the key. This is done so that people can't steal your helmet lock and get a key made, and probably to save money on those other locks as well.

Comment

My helmet lock & ignition have already been violated. I took my tank to Pat's Key & Lock in Salem, NH. They gave me a quote of $35 to pick the lock & make a key. Turns out I have a Yamaha gas cap (or something) and so it took a while to get the key made, and the total ended up being $45, which is more than fair as far as I'm concerned - certainly better than the $80 or so some folks charge.

Anyway, I can put gas in my tank now. On to the other problems...

Comment

Working...
                  X