Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

About the motor oil????

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • About the motor oil????

    If it says 10w-40 SAE is it a problem if i use 20W-50 for my pre?
    GSX600F 1993

  • #2
    I would stick with 10w40 in cold places like Canada.
    sigpic
    »Ross Wendell
    »1992 Katana 600, 1987 MR2 turbo, 2005 Corolla

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by RossW View Post
      I would stick with 10w40 in cold places like Canada.

      ya it may be hard to start in your igloo LMAO

      most guys use 20w50 in their HD's , it may require a little more warm up
      in the manual it shows what temp to what grade
      by the way it looks like the pre's only 10w40 is recomended
      http://katriders.com/wiki/index.php5?title=Shop_manual
      Last edited by rexazz2; 07-03-2009, 07:46 PM.
      Blood , its in you to give! http://www.blood.ca/

      Comment


      • #4
        Dont the manufactures designate a certain type of oil for the clearances in that particular engine? 20w-50 would be alot thicker of oil than 10-40. It might not lubricte the small passages of the engine as good as 10w-40 would.
        Last edited by waffenampt; 07-03-2009, 07:11 PM.

        Comment


        • #5
          if I remember correctly on the posts , the manual has a temp vs viscocity chart but did not see in the pre manual
          Blood , its in you to give! http://www.blood.ca/

          Comment


          • #6
            Why do you want to run 20W50, It's a little thick for spring and fall. I use Rotella 5W40 Synthetic. The 5 weight is great for the colder weather and the 40 weight is fine for the hotter months. Maybe if you lived in say, Florida or Arizona but not for our cold Quebec.
            Last edited by katman05; 07-03-2009, 08:39 PM.
            R.I.P. Marc (CyberPoet)





            Comment


            • #7
              I know some cars run 5w30 all year long even in the summer, but they run pretty tight clearences

              Comment


              • #8
                Hey Drummondville, hello from Montreal south shore!
                Like the others said 20w50 might not be best.

                Comment


                • #9
                  In the summer, 20w50 will be fine, especially if the weather is hot.
                  You can also mix-n-match (say 1 liter of 20w50 and 3 liters of 10w40, or a 50-50 mix, etc.).

                  General rule of thumb goes like this:
                  If it would hurt your feet to walk barefoot across asphalt in the mid-afternoon sun, use 20w50, otherwise stick to a 10- or 15- basis oil.

                  Suzuki's own table for weights vs. temps:

                  14 - 104+ degrees F [-10 thru 40+ degrees C]: 20w50
                  +4 - 104+ degrees F [-15 thru 40+ degrees C]: 15w50
                  -4 - 104+ degrees F [-20 thru 40+ degrees C]: 10w40, 10w50
                  -4 - 86 [max!] degrees F [-20 thru 30 degrees max C]: 10w30



                  Cheers
                  =-= The CyberPoet
                  Remember The CyberPoet

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by waffenampt View Post
                    I know some cars run 5w30 all year long even in the summer, but they run pretty tight clearences
                    Both my LS and the Sable run 5w30 Motorcraft all year round. The Lincoln has never had anything else in it, 7 years and 104k miles later...

                    Oh and ditto the Rotella T synth. Great stuff.
                    90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

                    Originally posted by Badfaerie
                    I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
                    Originally posted by soulless kaos
                    but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by scottynoface View Post
                      Both my LS and the Sable run 5w30 Motorcraft all year round. The Lincoln has never had anything else in it, 7 years and 104k miles later...

                      Oh and ditto the Rotella T synth. Great stuff.

                      5w20 Castrol in my civic year round for last 8 years
                      the odd Mobil 1 5w30 on cause I got it for free
                      Have some 5w20 Rotella in the garage cause it was also free
                      The one I always have to buy is oil for the bike
                      Blood , its in you to give! http://www.blood.ca/

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Hey CP, there's no 10w50 in your guide. Any particular reason?

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Dom View Post
                          Hey CP, there's no 10w50 in your guide. Any particular reason?
                          Space while keeping it legible, and the fact that when I originally created the template (which has been updated a few times since as standards changed), there weren't any 10w50 motorcycle oils on the US market that I could find. 10w50 oil that's JASO-MA rated is perfectly acceptable if you can find some

                          I probably ought to eliminate 15w45, as the only oil that was rated that I think has been withdrawn/morphed into 15w50.

                          Cheers
                          =-= The CyberPoet
                          Remember The CyberPoet

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            According to this chart...the Shell RotellaT 5w-40 synthetic shouldn't be used...?

                            API CJ-4 / SM (In the circle)
                            Also lists: CI-4 PLUS, CI-4, CH-4, CG-4, CF/SM

                            Is this the same RotellaT that everyone else is using with no problems?

                            Originally posted by The CyberPoet View Post
                            In the summer, 20w50 will be fine, especially if the weather is hot.
                            You can also mix-n-match (say 1 liter of 20w50 and 3 liters of 10w40, or a 50-50 mix, etc.).

                            General rule of thumb goes like this:
                            If it would hurt your feet to walk barefoot across asphalt in the mid-afternoon sun, use 20w50, otherwise stick to a 10- or 15- basis oil.

                            Suzuki's own table for weights vs. temps:

                            14 - 104+ degrees F [-10 thru 40+ degrees C]: 20w50
                            +4 - 104+ degrees F [-15 thru 40+ degrees C]: 15w50
                            -4 - 104+ degrees F [-20 thru 40+ degrees C]: 10w40, 10w50
                            -4 - 86 [max!] degrees F [-20 thru 30 degrees max C]: 10w30



                            Cheers
                            =-= The CyberPoet

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by The CyberPoet View Post
                              10w50 oil that's JASO-MA rated is perfectly acceptable if you can find some
                              The Motul 5100 4T is a synthetic blend that is offered in 10w50 and is rated JASO-MA.

                              http://www.superbiketoystore.com/spo...end-motor-oil/

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X