X

High idle, how to carb synch

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• High idle, how to carb synch

Ok so the cosmetics are done and mechanically the only thing left is the 3-4k idle. My question is how do I synch the carbs if I can't get the bike to idle. I have been riding the bike since February and can't find anything else, engine wise, wrong. I can hold a steady throttle without any surging or hesitation. Bike starts up fine. I saw Krey's bottle synch and wanted to try but how, without an idle? I love the bike but I know my mpg's are suffering along with not been able to grab neutral when I ride because of the high idle.
    FROM WORK:
    "let's just say you are my favorite.I like a response back on the same day from work issues, not like a work husband who kind of heard a request and mentions it weeks later. just damn"

Follow the steps for the visual sync. If your can't get it to idle at that point, a full sync isn't going to help.

You will probably need to go back into the carbs, and resolve the idle issues.

Krey
    93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Mine idled that high, pilot circuit were dirty and jets were too small. Just a thought. Im guessing its not stock?
      Originally posted by arsenic
      93 octane fuel and K&N pod filters rock.

Comment

Hmmmm, I thought it was stock but not sure though. What else could cause high idle other than vacuum links. The previous owner said he cleaned the carbs and thought that the high idle was due to a leak on the #4 airbox/carb connection. I took the airbox off and reconnected.
        FROM WORK:
        "let's just say you are my favorite.I like a response back on the same day from work issues, not like a work husband who kind of heard a request and mentions it weeks later. just damn"

Comment

Vacuum leaks or clogged pilot pilot. The pilot circuit in the carbs effects the idle along with the A/F screws. That's where I would start if you've completely ruled out vacuum leaks.
          90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
          I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
          Originally posted by soulless kaos
          but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

Originally posted by scottynoface View Post
            Vacuum leaks or clogged pilot pilot. The pilot circuit in the carbs effects the idle along with the A/F screws. That's where I would start if you've completely ruled out vacuum leaks.
            Yes, this...

High RPM idle, or hanging idle (blip it, hangs... slowly drops till it shuts off) are both symptoms of a very lean idle setting or issue. Normally, this is caused by clogged jets or a dirty system not allowing enough fuel to pass.

Pull and clean the carbs again. Make sure the pilot jets are removed and cleaned, not just dunking the bodies.

Krey
            93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

I should have originally stated that once the bike warms up to temperature the idle rises to 3-4K. Hanging throttle, but it doesn't shut off though. it just stays near 3-4K. Shoot, looks like I'm gonna have to pull the carbs.
              So just to make sure I understand, I can't synch without a "normal" idle, and after I visually synch the carbs, if that does not work, then I need to pull the carbs and clean? Correct?
              FROM WORK:

Comment

PO claimed he cleaned the carbs? from what you've described i'd have my doubts he did a good job. do um again, yourself
                99% of the questions asked here can be answered by a 2 minute search in the service manual. Get a service manual, USE IT.
                1990 Suzuki GSX750F Katana
                '53 Ford F250 pickumuptruck
                Lookin for a new Enduro project

Comment

I believe he cleaned them, just think that maybe they could use another cleaning. BTW, when I take the carbs apart to clean, how can I tell if it has a jet kit?
                  FROM WORK:

Comment

Originally posted by redciv1 View Post
                    I believe he cleaned them, just think that maybe they could use another cleaning. BTW, when I take the carbs apart to clean, how can I tell if it has a jet kit?
                    You can usually tell if it's not the factory kit if there's notches on the needles. Factory typically has no notches and the clips and spring seat is set at one spot. Non-factory usually has 5 or so notches that the clips can be raised or lowered to. There's a thread on here somewhere that you may be able to do a search and find that has pics of different jet kits. Not sure what your bike is, but I ended up having to move mine to the highest notch b/c the needle wasn't reaching the jet and was allowing a bunch of excess fuel to flow through...eventually making it too rich.

I'd say check your float height as well.
                    2001 Suzuki GSX-R 750

sigpic

Comment

cool. I emailed the PO, He has been good so far with questions I have aksed. I think first, I will recheck all the vacuum lines. I checked before but considering the bike has no other symptoms I will check. Then do a visual sync. And if that is not helping, CARB 101 here I come. I really thank you all for the help. I love the Kat6 and it's everything I thought it would be to ride. Just don't like pulling up to stoplights at 4K(I usually shut the bike off or slip the clutch).
                      FROM WORK:

Comment

I'd pull and check the carbs, then visually sync to see if you can get the idle working for several reason.
                        1. You really will know they were cleaned.
                        2. you will know for sure what parts are in it or missing (replace missing parts before you reassemble of course)
                        3. you will know it's right (if you follow carbs 101 to a T)
                        4. You will more easily be able to answer questions about what's going on with them (you learn alot when you take it apart, and put it back)

Krey
                        93 750 Kat

Comment

You will learn a lot about how the carbs work. It is a good idea to read some sort of carb manual if you dont have much experience with them.

I was having a similar problem. My shutters would flutter when i gave it gas and would idle out at about 3-4k rpms. I had them apart and fully cleaned them twice. I couldn't figure it out. I just bought a set of carbs on eBay for $60. Was definitely a great deal. I went through and cleaned them all, hooked them up and it idled right down around 1k.

Try cleaning them...if that does not work you may want to look around for a new set.

Comment

Working...
                          X