X

Carb Question

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carb Question

98 GSXF600 I went on vacation and the bike sat idle for 3 weeks. Got home and tried to start it up, very hard to do....but the big thing, when I would use the accelerator at all, it would choke and die.
    Anyways, took it apart, cleaned the crap out of it...apparently something was bad in the gas, it actually gel'd up inside the bowls. Took the carbs all the way apart and cleaned them really good. Now though, for some reason #2 carb leaks a little from the over flow port. I replaced the float valve assembly, but still leaks a bit when in the PRI position. Should this happen? When I have the selector in the ON or RES position, it appears to be okay. But, I would imagine that even in the PRI position, the floats should still shut off gas as not to overflow the bowls.
    Any ideas or inputs?

As for the bike, it runs great now....just as long as you don't mind a little gas!

Is there a way to adjust the air/fuel mixture on these bikes?

It may leak on PRI as nothing is stopping the flow of fuel to the carb bowls. What this indicates is probably a stuck float.

Air/Fuel is adjusted via a screw located on the underside of the carbs. If you hit the wiki and search for "carbs 101" you'll find instructions on how to remove and adjust them.
    -Steve

sigpic
    Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
    Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

Some Idle Thoughts, I just brought my 92 Kat 750 home. bike was sitting for 2 years and all fuel was drained at that time for shipping. Pre-owner added fresh fuel and started. It runs fine above idle pulls good all thru the power band. It won't idle without the choke on with it off the engine dies. Bike has low miles less than 8500. there is no surge or loss of power off idle just won't idle. Is there a way to clean the carbs with out removing them? aka add carb cleaner to the main fuel feed. or spray the carb. cleaner direct into the air intake. I could remove the carbs and get the seals and gaskets to do this. Is there a quick fix wanted to ride before any major servicing or repairs. Not lazy just excited to ride.

Comment

Anything you can dump in the tank is just a band aid. It might work for superficial problems... but think of it more like a maintenance item than a solution for a real cleaning.

I would not just "spray carb cleaner" into the intake. There's no way to control where it goes, and any junk is likely just going to re-solidify again anyhow.
        -Steve

sigpic
        Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
        Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

Update, Ok so I was checking found all 4 intake tube clamps were really loose, tightened all the clamps and also tightened the outer air cleaner mounting clamps[ can't get to the inner A/C clamps] warmed the engine and slowly turned the phillips head idle screw. Now it starts and I set the idle at 1K +/- 50k. It starts and idles good now, let it set for 20 minutes and restarted it fired up and after a few sec.s it idled at 1k again. Now it seems a little sluggish off idle to 4k, I wonder if that's normal may just be out of the power band, which seems to be 4k and above. I will ride it and see what happens from here. Thanks for any tech help not up on the Kat yet but learning as I go. Would listen to all who have more experience than I. Basic troubleshooting I can do. Previous owner wasn't technical at all, he took it to the dealer.

Comment

Originally posted by michaelbluewolf View Post
            Update, Ok so I was checking found all 4 intake tube clamps were really loose, tightened all the clamps and also tightened the outer air cleaner mounting clamps[ can't get to the inner A/C clamps] warmed the engine and slowly turned the phillips head idle screw. Now it starts and I set the idle at 1K +/- 50k. It starts and idles good now, let it set for 20 minutes and restarted it fired up and after a few sec.s it idled at 1k again. Now it seems a little sluggish off idle to 4k, I wonder if that's normal may just be out of the power band, which seems to be 4k and above. I will ride it and see what happens from here. Thanks for any tech help not up on the Kat yet but learning as I go. Would listen to all who have more experience than I. Basic troubleshooting I can do. Previous owner wasn't technical at all, he took it to the dealer.

Just do yourself a favor and pull them and clean them yourself. Seafoam has done wonders for mine in the past after a few tanks, doesn't hurt to try.
            Must read for carb tuners......http://www.factorypro.com/tech/tech_...m_engines.html

Comment

Working...
            X