X

cleaned carbs runs great for about 30 min then back to crap

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cleaned carbs runs great for about 30 min then back to crap

tittle pretty much covers it, ive recently relined the tank, cleaned the carbs, and still the same thing, after they get get cleaned the bike runs awesome for 20 to 30 minutes, then it starts missing and spuddering i pulled the plugs last night and they were blacker than ever. so evidently its dumping fuel, any ideas on whats goin on or what i can do to fix it

were the float levels set to spec ? also idling for 30 minutes is alot of time . these bikes are air /oil cooled . don't idle it longer than need be .

Comment

the floats all seemed good. i would ride it around the block and it would haul butt. then id take it out on the streets and u could feel it start loading up like it was just dumping fuel

Comment

well if its loading up that means it's getting too much fuel . recheck fuel - air mixture screws , and set float levels to spec . basicly recheck everything . there are tons of threads on here describing what you need to do .

Comment

Originally posted by gazoo View Post
          well if its loading up that means it's getting too much fuel . recheck fuel - air mixture screws , and set float levels to spec . basicly recheck everything . there are tons of threads on here describing what you need to do .
          double check you have both a washer and an o-ring on the a/f screws is another thing. those orings and washers are tiny, make sure you have them.

Comment

Is the choke stuck on ? or leaking raw fuel

Comment

Yup, you're dumping gas. Check your carbs for a stuck float, or your petcock for wonky business.
              90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
              I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
              Originally posted by soulless kaos
              but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

how would i check the petcock and what could it be doing?

Comment

Originally posted by Battousai View Post
                  how would i check the petcock and what could it be doing?
                  On position, no vacuum, gas stops flowing
                  Prime gas flows
                  On position apply vacuum gas flows

You can just put a clean hose on the vacuum port and suck to apply the vacuum for this test.

In general, the concern here is "Does gas not flow when there is no vacuum applied, in the on position?"

If your good there, then forget the petcock and go back to setting the carbs right.

Krey
                  93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Working...
                  X