Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

2nd gear shift fork - common failure ????

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2nd gear shift fork - common failure ????

Greetings,

New to KatRiders but I'm looking at a '90 Kat 750F tomorrow and have heard that the 2nd gear shift fork might be a common problem amongst these bikes. Is there any truth to that and does anyone know what's involved in fixing it? I'd hate to get in to a bike that I'd have to tear the cases apart before I even took it for a decent ride.

Thanks much.

Don

Poor shifting habits by riders can cause a failure and shift issues. The most common sympton being issues staying or shifting into 2nd gear.

If you test ride the bike and it's not showing symptoms of an issue... it shifts fairly smoothly, doesn't slip on acceleration, and stays in each gear... your probably good to go. There is an aftermarket spring "shift indent spring" you can put on that is fairly cheap that will help to prevent issues in the future if it's okay now, but it won't fix an issue if it's already been mistreated and not working correctly.

It's not the design, it's the users... but if the users have screwed it up, that is ussually where the issue is.

Krey
    93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Kreylyn pretty much covered it.

If you're looking at an used Kat, take my pre-inspection list with you:
      motorcycleanchor.com is your first and best source for all of the information you’re looking for. From general topics to more of what you would expect to find here, motorcycleanchor.com has it all. We hope you find what you are searching for!

Cheers,
      =-= The CyberPoet
      Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Originally posted by The CyberPoet View Post
        Kreylyn pretty much covered it.

If you're looking at an used Kat, take my pre-inspection list with you:
        motorcycleanchor.com is your first and best source for all of the information you’re looking for. From general topics to more of what you would expect to find here, motorcycleanchor.com has it all. We hope you find what you are searching for!

Cheers,
        =-= The CyberPoet

Thanks Kreylyn and CyberPoet. I printed out the list yesterday. That was very thorough and I like that site. This bike is listed as "having around 21K miles, bought in '07 and it ran but needed choked. Turns over now but won't start". I'm hoping to be able to get it running without too much trouble. If I can't, I'll probably walk away from it. The price is pretty good but not so much that it would be worth a new tranny.

Don

Comment

Hey Don, Welcome to KR! Hope you get the Kat thier are alot of us around Columbus.
          Bill
          1989 Katana 600 Blue on Black
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by 80GS1100ET View Post
            Thanks Kreylyn and CyberPoet. I printed out the list yesterday. That was very thorough and I like that site. This bike is listed as "having around 21K miles, bought in '07 and it ran but needed choked. Turns over now but won't start". I'm hoping to be able to get it running without too much trouble. If I can't, I'll probably walk away from it. The price is pretty good but not so much that it would be worth a new tranny.
            Glad you like my MotorcycleAnchor site... make sure you check out my deals specials here on KR too -- http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=58596

Meanwhile, odds are you'll need a few different things to get it come to life:
            (A) Battery or jumper box
            (B) New spark plugs (NGK JR9C)
            (C) Fresh fuel & some starter fluid.
            (D) A stock air filter (based on his descriptions of choke use).

if it doesn't have the OEM air filter (which is steel mesh/white cotton-rag paper/cotton fiber wadding/white cotton paper/steel mesh) and instead is running a K&N filter [typically red cotton, could be black/gray with use] or foam filter, odds you found 90% of his issues on the spot -- the aftermarket filters throw the jetting off and the result is the need for extra choke to enrich the mixture. Throw the OEM filter in it, clean plugs, hook the fuel line to your gas can (& get it flowing), put on your battery, and fire it up

Cheers
            =-= The CyberPoet
            Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Originally posted by The CyberPoet View Post
              Glad you like my MotorcycleAnchor site... make sure you check out my deals specials here on KR too -- http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=58596

Meanwhile, odds are you'll need a few different things to get it come to life:
              (A) Battery or jumper box
              (B) New spark plugs (NGK JR9C)
              (C) Fresh fuel & some starter fluid.
              (D) A stock air filter (based on his descriptions of choke use).

if it doesn't have the OEM air filter (which is steel mesh/white cotton-rag paper/cotton fiber wadding/white cotton paper/steel mesh) and instead is running a K&N filter [typically red cotton, could be black/gray with use] or foam filter, odds you found 90% of his issues on the spot -- the aftermarket filters throw the jetting off and the result is the need for extra choke to enrich the mixture. Throw the OEM filter in it, clean plugs, hook the fuel line to your gas can (& get it flowing), put on your battery, and fire it up

Cheers
              =-= The CyberPoet
              Thanks. I need to pick up the plugs and starter fluid this morning. Shouldn't be a problem. If it still has the OEM air filter, are those capable of being cleaned? I have some K&N filter cleaner if so but I'm kinda hoping for the warm soapy water method. I'm taking a battery up with me.

You don't happen to know what the acceptable compression numbers would be on this engine? And the primary and secondary coil resistance numbers? Just can't seem to find those anywhere on the net.

Don

Originally posted by Racer87 View Post
              Hey Don, Welcome to KR! Hope you get the Kat thier are alot of us around Columbus.

Thanks Bill. This is actually going to be the first bike for a good friend of mine. He's (hopefully) going to take the MSF course at the end of July. If this bike turns out to be a "diamond in the rough" then he'll have a GREAT first bike. And, of course I'll be able to ride it on occasion. If it only has minor issues, we'll have a month to work them out before he'll be capable of riding it anyway.

Don
              Last edited by 80GS1100ET; 06-30-2009, 07:20 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

Thanks. I need to pick up the plugs and starter fluid this morning. Shouldn't be a problem. If it still has the OEM air filter, are those capable of being cleaned? I have some K&N filter cleaner if so but I'm kinda hoping for the warm soapy water method. I'm taking a battery up with me.
                The OEM filters are non-washable, but last virtually forever if they don't get wet (a blast with compressed air to clean every oil change helps). The problem with the K&N's is that they don't produce very linear resistance to air inbound, meaning the vacuum levels tend to be weak at low RPM's on the Kats, and that throws the jetting off (you can compensate for it to some degree with changes in the needles & pilot jets), but the proven answer is the OEM filters (the main constriction point is the collectors on the headers; there's no benefit to a freer-breathing air filter).

You don't happen to know what the acceptable compression numbers would be on this engine? And the primary and secondary coil resistance numbers? Just can't seem to find those anywhere on the net.
                You'll find them in the factory manual, which you can nab here:

Generally, you're looking for 114 minimum across all four and not more than a variation of 28 psi between all of them (ideal range is 142-213 psi, with most broken-in engines producing around 160 psi).

Primary/secondary I don't know for the pre's, but it's around here somewhere.

Cheers
                =-= The CyberPoet
                Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

EXCELLENT !! I just downloaded the manual. That contained everything I need. Perfect.

THANKS !!! At this point, I think I'm all set to give this bike my best shot.

I'll be sure to let you guys know how it worked out.

Don

Comment

Cool, look forward to hearing about your new purchase...

Krey
                    93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Argh !!!

The guy sold it out from under me last night. There was just no way I could have got up to where this place was and besides, I wasn't prepared. Oh well, at least now I know more about the GSX750F and will be keeping my eyes open for another one.

Thanks for all the help.

Don

Comment

Working...
                      X