X

Pre clutch cable replacement ?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pre clutch cable replacement ?

Hello, does the gear shift lever need to be removed to replaced the clutch cable on a 94 600? I took 5 allen screws out of the side case and it looks like the gear shift lever is in the way. Suggestions???
    FROM WORK:
    "let's just say you are my favorite.I like a response back on the same day from work issues, not like a work husband who kind of heard a request and mentions it weeks later. just damn"

i believe there is 1 philips screw holding the shift linkage on the spline and a snap ring holding the other side of the assembly where the shift peg is but it had to come off on my 750 anyways but fairly simple

Comment

ok cool. Hopefully the cable will come tomorrow. I am trying to disassemble everything now so I can start riding.
      FROM WORK:
      "let's just say you are my favorite.I like a response back on the same day from work issues, not like a work husband who kind of heard a request and mentions it weeks later. just damn"

Comment

Since your replacing the cable anyhow, Just do it the easy way, cut the cable near the handlebar. Or you can simply adjust both all the way in at the cover and at the lever, Line up the slot and pull out on the cable away from the lever and slip the cable out from the slot in the adjuster.

Me personally, I'd just cut it since its junk anyhow.
        If its not broke, Hit it with a bigger hammer and blame it on cheap imports

RIP Dad 3/15/08 Love and miss ya already

Originally posted by Nero
        Even I played for a minute or so, then I recovered what little manhood I had left and stopped.

Comment

Well, I guess I am lucky, because the cable broke at the handle bar.

BTW, I got the sprocket cover off but something kinda baffled me. I did not see where the clutch cable was connected to the engine, or maybe I missed something. How is the clutch connected to the engine?
          FROM WORK:

Comment

The clutch cable connects to the clutch cover. The clutch itself is actuated by a pushrod that sticks out in front of the sprocket.
            sigpic
            »Ross Wendell
            »1992 Katana 600, 1987 MR2 turbo, 2005 Corolla

Comment

OK thanks. So once I put the new cable in and adjust everything should be good. Sorry with the questions. New to bike repair.
              FROM WORK:

Comment

If you tape the new to the old you can pull it through (if it doesn't snag) and you know it is exactly in the right route.
                Must read for carb tuners......http://www.factorypro.com/tech/tech_...m_engines.html

Comment

Originally posted by kevin2502000 View Post
                  If you tape the new to the old you can pull it through (if it doesn't snag) and you know it is exactly in the right route.
                  If it was routed right to begin with I tend to not trust PO's

New to Katriders? Click Here!

Comment

Right now it is route thru the main chassis running on the left side of the engine. Which way is the correct routing.
                    FROM WORK:

Comment

Originally posted by redciv1 View Post
                      Right now it is route thru the main chassis running on the left side of the engine. Which way is the correct routing.
                      It's actually supposed to run under the cross-bar that sits over the valves (fairly loose zip tie to hold it there!) and pass between the #1 & #2 carbs. Routing it on the outside is a common practice, but tends to make the cable-lifespan shorter. If in doubt, check the factory service manual

Cheers
                      =-= The CyberPoet
                      Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

LOL, maybe that is what happended to my cable. I thought I had read something earlier about routing thru #1 and 2 carbs.Thanks.
                        FROM WORK:

Comment

I put a new cable on mine last night, I routed the cable through carbs #1 and #2 on the airbox side, over the carbs, straight over the motor, through a little metal loop on the left side frame rail near the fork attachment, and up to the handlebar. I hope this is right, before it was routed straight up the frame. It seemed to work fine, I still have my tight pull issue, but I am now getting a 100% clutch disengagement which I was not getting before.

Comment

Well last night, I picked up the cable and it was pretty easy. Since my cable broke at the handle, it was easy to take the cable out. And adjusting the cable was sooooo easy with the write-up. It was truly dead on. My cable pull feels so much lighter and now I can actually adjust the cable and know what I am doing. I really appreciate all the help from the board. Now I just need to kill this high idle and get those carbs synch'd.

Side note:
                            Yesterday while routing the cable, it dawned on me that I have 2 screw holes on each side of the frame near the head. I remember reading somewhere that the Katana's had some sort of support bar. Mine's is missing. Can someone take a pic so I can see.
                            FROM WORK:

Comment

Working...
                            X