Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

dropped a cylinder after carb synch and tune? help?????

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dropped a cylinder after carb synch and tune? help?????

Hey guys, yesterday I had my carbs tuned and synched (I figured 19k was about far enough for untapped, untuned and unsynched carbs).

Anyway, It had been taking a good while to warm up, but it WOULD. after my carbs were synched, tuned and my valves were adjusted, I have dropped a cylinder? He said my untapped A/F screws, cylinder 3 was COMPLETELY IN. If I spray carb cleaner in the cylinder at idle with the engine idling, it will catch and you can audibly hear cylinder 3 kick in. When I stop spraying it, the cylinder dies out. After about 4-5k rpm, it runs fine. Below that though, it sounds horrible. The guy who did my carbs cleaned, cleaned, and CLEANED the carbs. All the diaphrams and vaccum lines are perfect, and I am completely stumped. I am currently looking for a new set of carbs if anyone has any for sale, as I HAVE to have my bike to get to work.

(The guy who did the work is actually a huge suzuki freak,and has had a lot of them...and he is stumped. Our only idea is that SOMETHING is wrong with the carbs...also, HOW could the A/F screws that werent even drilled out, how could #3 be completely screwed in?!?)

Any ideas, links to carbs for sale would be appreciated!

[edit: its a 98 600 katana]

sounds like a pilot jet, or air leak between cylinder and carb boot ????He said my untapped A/F screws, cylinder 3 was COMPLETELY IN.????

Comment

Dunno. Good luck though.

Comment

Pilot jet, idle circuit plugged.
        Must read for carb tuners......http://www.factorypro.com/tech/tech_...m_engines.html

Comment

Originally posted by kevin2502000 View Post
          Pilot jet, idle circuit plugged.
          Joker
          The newest addition to the Family!
          sigpic
          stop by the garage for a better look!

Comment

anybody have a diagram/picture?

Comment

Pic of what?
              Must read for carb tuners......http://www.factorypro.com/tech/tech_...m_engines.html

Comment

oh, I meant I was trying to find a diagram of the idle circuit that could be plugged to show him. I will do anything to the bike besides carb work, I just know I will muck it up.

Ok, I bet ron ayers has a diagram of it or something

Comment

He said my untapped A/F screws, cylinder 3 was COMPLETELY IN.????- He said your airscrew was completly in? try resetting all of your air flow screws to 2.5 turns out

Comment

Originally posted by LAsunbird86 View Post
                    oh, I meant I was trying to find a diagram of the idle circuit that could be plugged to show him. I will do anything to the bike besides carb work, I just know I will muck it up.

Ok, I bet ron ayers has a diagram of it or something

Lots of pics... lots of info.

Krey
                    93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Originally posted by waffenampt View Post
                      He said my untapped A/F screws, cylinder 3 was COMPLETELY IN.????- He said your airscrew was completly in? try resetting all of your air flow screws to 2.5 turns out
                      Actually I'm not surprised, when I did my carbs they were everywhere from 2.75 - .75 turns out from the factory.
                      I tuned mine with a Colortune and never really paid much attention to turns. I started at 2.5 out and tuned from there.
                      2000 Katana 600
                      2011 Triumph Sprint GT

Comment

Idle circuit pic

Here's a pic of the idle circuit.
                        Attached Files

Comment

I have the pilot jets (o-rings, needles, springs) here if you want to swap to new known-good ones for cylinder #3. Under $10 might fix the problem for good. The o-rings often get damaged if the pilot jets are screwed in too tight.

As for the covers: they mean nothing -- they can be replaced with new ones after tinkering (suzuki PN 13281-05A00) and leave no trace, which some shops do to discourage others from digging into 'em, or to prevent inspection people from thinking the carbs have been modified...

Cheers
                          =-= The CyberPoet
                          Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

well, of course, as in my normal fashion this happens 2 weeks before I am heading to the dragon.

He just took the bike apart again and is going to check the idle circuit/blast it with carb cleaner(and try a small amount of compressed air). Hopefully that works....haha I fought to get two days in a row off, and dangit, Im going even if I only have 3 cylinders under 5krpm! Sadly, the two days I have to go to the dragon are the only two in a row I will get off until school starts again....Gotta love bills!

Hey cp, If this doesn't work (cleaning the idle circuit) then my carb guy and I will both be completely stumped,and I will be looking for a new set of carbs (as I of course am EXTREMELY tight on time) Any suggestions on where to look? Ebay seemed a BIT ridiculous...I mean, $800 for my bike...$250 for new carbs plus shipping?!?

Apologies for any grammatical errors, Im wiped. Bed time.

As always, thank you everyone for all the help, My kat wouldnt have made it this far without your help!

Comment

Send me a PM and I'll get you in touch with Arsenic, who ought to be able to do better on carbs than $250 (trade-in; you get known-good/fixed/tested/ready-to-go carbs).

Cheers
                              =-= The CyberPoet
                              Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Working...
                              X