X

First oil change 98 Kat

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First oil change 98 Kat

First time to change oil myself. I made a research. Off course any other ideas are welcome.

Oil (3.5 Q) = Mobil 1 MX4T which is fully synthetic.
    Oil filter = Suzuki oem / or K&N KN138
    Bolt ring/washer = oem

After warming up the KAT

1) Place the Kat up on its centerstand
    2) Prepare all tools needed torx, nuts, pan, and funnel.
    3) Unscrew the oil cap
    4) Place pan under the oil pan
    5) Unscrew the bolt to release oil
    6) Unscrew the oil filter (quite tight bec. pipes blocking the filter)
    7) Let it drain and listen to some music
    8) Screw in new oil filter and bolt (don't 4get to change washer)
    9) Pour in new oil (3.5 Q)
    10) Close cap and check oil level

After a few miles of riding, engine sounded finer. Shifting is easier.
    KATitoy

Yeah, you should buy one of these http://www.quickoildrainvalve.com/ and never have to worry about stripping the oil pan bolt again. Makes oil changes a breeze.
    R.I.P. Marc (CyberPoet)

Comment

I AHVEN'T CHANGES THE OIL IN MY BIKE YET WHAT IS THE

Bolt ring/washer = oem FOR

Comment

Originally posted by ferrucci86 View Post
        I AHVEN'T CHANGES THE OIL IN MY BIKE YET WHAT IS THE

Bolt ring/washer = oem FOR

The drain bolt washer prevents leakage. This washer should be changed everytime you remove the bolt to drain oil. $1.30

Originally posted by katman05 View Post
        Yeah, you should buy one of these http://www.quickoildrainvalve.com/ and never have to worry about stripping the oil pan bolt again. Makes oil changes a breeze.
        Hey katman. Nice oil drain add-on. My only thought is that if I install this drain valve, will it not extend down (1-2 inches) and hit something like humps? My 2 cents
        Last edited by katitoy; 06-27-2009, 10:03 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
        KATitoy

Comment

it will not. They used to be called Fumoto valves. That is definatly the right way to do it. I would reccommend the OEM filter. CP has them and a wrench to remove it with. His prices are all better then you will find elsewhere. Good post none the less for anyone who wants to change their own oil
          May the road rise up to meet you.
          May the wind always be at your back.
          May the sun shine warm upon your face,
          and rains fall soft upon your fields.
          And until we meet again,
          May God hold you in the palm of His hand.
          RIP Marc

Comment

Originally posted by katitoy View Post
            The drain bolt washer prevents leakage. This washer should be changed everytime you remove the bolt to drain oil. $1.30
            You can score the drain bolt crush washers at any Honda automotive dealer for cheap (25 cents or under typically), as they were used for virtually every honda car built from the mid-80's through the end of the 90's (and possibly modern ones). It's a standard 14mm ID crush washer. I sometimes carry them here for those who don't want to go out of their way to get one and are already ordering filters, etc. from me...

BUT I HIGHLY RECOMMEND THE FUMOTO (model F111) instead. Note that on the 98+ models, you will have to dremel off part of the ridge that sits next to the oil drain bolt to permit the fumoto to screw in when installing. I think I was actually the first Kat person to install one of these, back around '01 (and went through a couple trade-out cycles to get the right fitment).

Note that if you install the Fumoto, you should also install the SmCo magnet upgrade ($5 from me -- basically an extremely strong, high-temp-compatible magnet) at the same time -- either put the magnet in the oil pan or place it on the oil filter, since the Fumoto doesn't have a ferrous-metal recovering magnet built into it.

Originally posted by katitoy View Post
            Hey katman. Nice oil drain add-on. My only thought is that if I install this drain valve, will it not extend down (1-2 inches) and hit something like humps? My 2 cents
            The fumoto valve without the nipple (i.e. - the F111 instead of the F111-N) extends no further than the ridge that sits next to the oil pan on the 98+ anyway, and is higher-up when mounted than the collector of the headers.

Cheers
            =-= The CyberPoet

PS - OEM Suzuki oil filters - $8.50 - see my special thread.
            Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Oh, and one other thought:
              3.5 liters may be too little, depending on how long the drain plug is out. Leave it out for an hour, and you may get over 4 liters required to bring it back up to the "F" (full) line. Leave it out overnight and that might hit 4.3 - 4.4 liters.

Cheers,
              =-= The CyberPoet

Comment

Working...
              X