X

Another Clutch ?.....

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another Clutch ?.....

Ok, I have another stupid question. The other day I while riding home from work I could a rotten eggish kind of smell coming from the bike. After letting the bike sit for a few hours I went back out to it and I could not get it to go while in gear. I know from melting clutches in cars that rotten egg smell normally means that I messed up the clutch. Now on the bike should I look to replace the clutch plates first or should I look to somewhere else first?

2001 750 with an ARSE load of miles on it!

I called my local stealership and they quoted me up to $400 for parts and labor .
    Last edited by Woodmysta; 06-26-2009, 09:26 AM.
    Former Marine 3/97-3/01
    MOS 0161 Semper FI!
    sigpic

Originally posted by Woodmysta View Post
    After letting the bike sit for a few hours I went back out to it and I could not get it to go while in gear.
    Could not let the bike to go or the clutch to go?

Now on the bike should I look to replace the clutch plates first or should I look to somewhere else first?
    Basically three things to check:

1) clutch cable

2) the front sprocket cover where the cable enters into it. The linkage or other internal parts may have become damaged. To inspect the linkage you'll need to remove that sprocket cover.

3) the clutch itself.

If need be, replacing a clutch is fairly easy. Materials to replace both steel plates and fiber plates will cost around, mmm...maybe $125 or so depending where you get them.

2001 750 with an ARSE load of miles on it!
    How many miles do you have?
    How To Install Race Tech Emulators & Rebuild Forks
    How To Repack Yoshimura RS3 Exhaust
    How To Install Oil Cooler Fans
    How To Install Audiovox Cruise Control On A 1998+ Katana

Comment

Working...
    X