X

06 Katana 600 doesn't start

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 06 Katana 600 doesn't start

So recently someone crashed into my 06 Katana and I got some insurance money and the dented bike back. Battery was dead, replaced battery. Rim was bent, replaced wheel. Now I'm just trying to get it to start.

In goes the battery, in goes the key to On position. All the lights come on. Side stand up, clutch down, starter button... and nothing. The engine doesn't even turn.

Why would this be? BTW, I have taken off most of the fairings and all the light connectors from the bike when fixing it so it's naked right now. Not sure if that has anything to do with it. I have a feeling it could be something simple that I'm overlooking.

Thanks again, everyone has been very helpful on this forum.

Ok, if all the lights come on but you hit the starter button and no sound, then it's a wiring problem.

Clutch switch
    Sidestand switch
    Starter button

Can't help much more than that but it's something
    90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
    I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
    Originally posted by soulless kaos
    but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

that's an interesting one. do you hear the starter trying to do it's job, or do you push the button and hear nothing?
      2004 Katana
      GO OWLS!!!

Comment

Starter doesn't even try - nothing happens. It's like a dead battery except it's not.

Wiring problem... how would I check the wiring on the clutch switch, sidestand switch, and starter buttons? I doubt they're torn or anything, unless the insurance company was REALLY careless in their inspection...

Great sig btw

Comment

This maybe a really stupid comment,
          But did you check the emergency shut-off switch on the right handle?
          This will cause the same problem.
          Nelsonind

Comment

Start with the obvious and easiest to check

kill switch
            Side stand kill switch
            clutch sensor(small plug under left hand grip)
            fuses

Get a buddy over to help and see if you can bump start it maybe.

FYI all my insurance company did was a visual inspection for damage as they tallied the cost of broken or scratched parts.

Also depending on how long they had the bike, don't forget your carbs are probably dry and when you do get the starter going you may need to prime them.
            Kyle

Comment

Originally posted by nelsonind View Post
              This maybe a really stupid comment,
              But did you check the emergency shut-off switch on the right handle?
              This will cause the same problem.
              That's not a stupid comment because it has happened here when someone posted this kind of scenario.

But if the battery is good and the fuses are good, then it's, as has been said, an electrical fault in the switch or wires.
              How To Install Race Tech Emulators & Rebuild Forks
              How To Repack Yoshimura RS3 Exhaust
              How To Install Oil Cooler Fans
              How To Install Audiovox Cruise Control On A 1998+ Katana

Comment

Thanks for all the responses guys, appreciate it.

Shut off switch is set right, unfortunately.

I looked around the clutch and side stand and traced the wires back. They looked fine to my untrained eye. Plug under left handle is plugged in. Fuses look fine.

How should I check for an electrical fault? Maybe I should just get it sent to a shop for this.

Comment

Did you check both fuses, ignition and main? The main is under the left fairing, not under the seat with the others.
                  "When you work on your mysterious lady part stuff, you should have the right tools, too. That's why you should use Maypax. The official tampon of NASCAR." Ricky Bobby

sigpic

Comment

found this on another thread - may help:

Well, when a bike won't start, I usually run down the 3 common things:

Killswitch, clutch safety switch, sidestand safety switch. I think Katanas have issues with the clutch safety switch goin' out pretty easily (mine did..), so you may need to jumper it temporarily with a paper clip for a quick test.
                    "When you work on your mysterious lady part stuff, you should have the right tools, too. That's why you should use Maypax. The official tampon of NASCAR." Ricky Bobby

sigpic

Comment

Just an fyi I just had this problem on my 04 kat and the paper clip trick on the clutch sensor worked thanks guys

Comment

Working...
                      X