X

94 600 valve and carb adjustment diy?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 94 600 valve and carb adjustment diy?

I called the local stealership and asked about a valve adjustment and carb sync. They quoted me at $425.

Is this something I can do myself? I work on cars and am competent at turning wrenches, but I don't have any motorcycle specific tools. What would I need to get r done?

If I did it myself, I would probably make the manemometer for doing the sync rather than buying one.

Cheers,
    -Izzy

"If you're gonna be a turd, go lay on the lawn."
    -My wife

It's really not that hard. I'd say do it yourself.
    sigpic
    »Ross Wendell
    »1992 Katana 600, 1987 MR2 turbo, 2005 Corolla

Comment

I think I have shim valves...right?
      -Izzy

-My wife

Comment

Originally posted by izzy View Post
        I think I have shim valves...right?
        yes shims

odds are you won't need to change anything. but if you do there is a good chance you can swap you current shims and get everything into spec.

make sure you have a manual, you will need the shim chart if you are out of spec.

Comment

And pretty much any motorcycle shop will either trade or sell you shims for really cheap. I personally think shims are easier than screws, but maybe it's just because I'm used to them.
          sigpic
          »Ross Wendell

Comment

You might need the manual for the procedure and proper specs, but don't worry about the shim chart.

If you know your desired clearance, and you know your current clearance, and you know your current shim thickness, you can subtract and figure out what size you need. Those shim charts just confuse me most of the time.

As far as the manometer...you can go as expensive and elaborate as you want, but all it really takes most the time is a clear rubber tube with some oil in it. The height difference in the oil will tell you which carb is pulling more vacuum.

The hardest part will be getting the valve cover off. You can do it yourself

Comment

Cool. Thanks for the confidence boost.
              Will I need a micrometer for the valve work?

Cheers,
              -Izzy

-My wife

Comment

Yea do it yourself. I did mine for the first time a couple months ago. No big deal. Give yourself a couple days and its no sweat. I ended up getting it all apart and the shims measured on day one then bought the shims i needed (bikebandit) and installed on day two.
                I did the valves, cam chain tensioner, and carb sync at the same time.
                1993 Kat 600 - (Parts bike)
                1994 Kat 600 - Jardine full exhaust, Factory Pro Jet Kit, Pirelli Diablo Stradas, Fender CHOPPED, repainted plastics and tank

Comment

Originally posted by izzy View Post
                  Cool. Thanks for the confidence boost.
                  Will I need a micrometer for the valve work?

Cheers,
                  Maybe. If you're lucky you'll still be able to read the shim size which is etched on the shim. Otherwise you'll need micrometers. Make sure you have a decent set of feeler gauges.
                  sigpic
                  »Ross Wendell

Comment

Working...
                  X