X

Aaarrrghhh!!!! Need help

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aaarrrghhh!!!! Need help

Going crazy trying to get the damn 1 1/4 nut off the front sprocket so I can change it. IT WONT FREAKIN BUDGE. Searched for help, read that it helps to put a block of wood between the wheel and swing arm.... still nothing.

Am I doing something wrong? I'm so ****ed because I have been fuggin around with this thing all day trying to find the right tools, cleaning grime, consulting manual, failing, consulting KR, fail, and now I'm running out of daylight to ride!

Here is a pic just so you all know what im talking about. Its the bigass nut over the sprocket. I got the hex screw and castle nut lookin thing off.

Let's go riding!

3 foot breaker bar, with a 3 foot pipe over the handle made this a real easy job when I swapped my sprockets out....

Krey
    93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Originally posted by Kreylyn View Post
      3 foot breaker bar, with a 3 foot pipe over the handle made this a real easy job when I swapped my sprockets out....

Krey
      problem is, I don't have one. To make it worse I found this from CP

Cool deal

One word of note:

The front sprocket nut (as with many other parts on the bike) is usually locktited on there. That means to break the grip, it needs to be "snapped" quickly at the outset to break the chemical bond; simply applying progressively more pressure can be a recipe for destruction.

I def. don't wanna do that
      Let's go riding!

Comment

Horror Freight had/has a 1/2 off sale of their 1/2" electric impact wrench. I bought one for stuff like this. Or they have a two-foot, or so, long 1/2" breaker bar that will get you leverage.
        How To Install Race Tech Emulators & Rebuild Forks
        How To Repack Yoshimura RS3 Exhaust
        How To Install Oil Cooler Fans
        How To Install Audiovox Cruise Control On A 1998+ Katana

Comment

impact gun air or electric? or do the breaker bar with the bike in 1st gear with the back brake on

Comment

It's official. I have ****ed myself off enough to the point I'm just taking it to the dealer. I don't care what it cost's.

**** you sprocket nut . You have ruined my entire day and probably tomorrow.
            Let's go riding!

Comment

For what the dealer will charge you can buy an impact gun. If you don't have an air compressor electric will be fine. Plus you will add another tool to the collection.

Comment

ur turning the wrench to the left right? try putting it in gear then have someone hold the disc brake on. your wheel will not turn this way

Comment

Originally posted by JetDoc View Post
                  For what the dealer will charge you can buy an impact gun. If you don't have an air compressor electric will be fine. Plus you will add another tool to the collection.
                  Ugh, yeah. But now that I have it all back together, I really don't feel like taking all apart again.

Originally posted by waffenampt View Post
                  ur turning the wrench to the left right?
                  Let's go riding!

Comment

It's 6 screws and then a really big one you can do it... Make sure you get a friend to hold the brake on while you turn the sucker. even a pvc pipe will work if your gental with it, and you dont have much for tools...

Comment

Yep. MD86 tought me that one. I thought he just gonna lean on it till it broke. Nope, one loud whack and it came loose.

Big breaker bar ftw
                      90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
                      I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
                      Originally posted by soulless kaos
                      but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

Yes , I LOVE my big-*** torque wrench .
                        I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Yeah, I had to sit on the bike with my right foot smashing the brake, with a 3 foot breaker bar. An open ended aluminum broom (or other handled utinsil) will work in a pinch, so long as it fits over the ratchet.

New to Katriders? Click Here!

Comment

32mm and some sort of impact, air or electric. someone you know, or a KR member near you is bound to have an impact
                            99% of the questions asked here can be answered by a 2 minute search in the service manual. Get a service manual, USE IT.
                            1990 Suzuki GSX750F Katana
                            '53 Ford F250 pickumuptruck
                            Lookin for a new Enduro project

Comment

if you put it in first gear make sure you have the back brake locked...if first gear catches and your putting all that torque on it..your bound to snap first gear....espically with a 3 foot 1/2 inch break bar and another 3 foot cheater bar on top of that

Comment

Working...
                              X