X

Bike smells funny

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bike smells funny

Ok, I've had my bike for about a month now. put 200 miles on her. the mileage is 4000 and my friend checked the oil and says it's fine. He did say it was kinda black but not to worry much. When I stop the bike and park it, I smell a wierd burning smell kinda. The only thing mechanically wrong with it that I know of is the choke. It's broken (or the cables broke whichever). So when I start the bike, I have to pull the side choke by the left fearing with a zip tie to get the bike to turn over; then push it back in once it warms up. Once it gets going though, it runs fine. I ordered a new choke but it hasn't arrived yet and I'm too broke to bring it into the shop right now so what else should I look for? because i'm not too experienced with fixing up bikes.
    thanks

Mabey the zip tie is melting as you ride, check placement.

Comment

Ok I think we need a better discription then "funny"

I had the zip tie for a while too..
      I dont think that is it..

Comment

are you able to distinguish what the burning smell is? For example, burning plastic smells like burning plastic...oil like oil....rubber like rubber. If you can tell the difference between them, it would help alot.
        I don't have a short temper. I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.

Comment

if he baught the bike and hasnt run it hard or good enough to really burn all the old carbon out of the exhaust and motor then that could be it and that is an odd smell, start it up let it warm up and rev it up nice and high, not to rev limiter but to say 9 grand and then let it idle and shut it off, then see if it still smells, that should clear it all out

Comment

Sometimes you pick up something on the radiator from the road that has to burn itself away. Check that and for plastic or something on your pipes/headers.

Comment

If it sorta smells like rotten eggs, it could be battery acid bubbling out from overcharging. Next time, smell all around the bike real close, so you can narrow down where the smell is coming from. Is there smoke to go with it anywhere?
              Any and all statements by Loudnlow7484 are merely his own opinions, and not necessarily the opinion of Katriders.com. Anything suggested by him is to be followed at your own risk, and may result in serious injury or death. Responses from this member have previously been attributed to all of the following: depression, insomnia, nausea, suicidal tendencies, and panic. Please consult a mental health professional before reading any post by Loudnlow7484.

Comment

I'm leaning more towards the idea that it's carbon because I really dont rev out the engine much at all. And it doesn't smell like rotten eggs, burnt rubber, oil, or plastic.

Comment

give it a hard drive the worst that could happen is that it smells worse

Comment

Originally posted by Scott
                    It doesn't smell like rotten eggs, burnt rubber, oil, or plastic.
                    Unburnt fuel (fueling too rich);
                    header paint (fueling too lean);
                    fuel evaporation (hot engine, open carbs, fact of life);
                    high temp anti-seize (header bolts, collector bolt);
                    rain water or condesnation in the exhaust (steamy -- should clear off in 10 minutes of riding);
                    old gas (smells bad, can include gas-eating bacteria);
                    headlight retainer plug or insulation on the wiring (bulbs mismatched to the rating, drawing too much power);
                    oil+gas smell (crankcase vent tube open to the air);
                    left over engine cleaner (anything from simple green to engine wash);
                    sneaker on the exhaust (bad foot placement)...

The list goes on. Need a better description.
                    PS - it's a maint-free battery on the 98+, so overcharging should still not result in any boil-off.

Cheers
                    =-= The CyberPoet
                    Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Well I rode it for about 4 hours yesterday and I dont smell it anymore.
                      Although I notice a slight helicopter noise after long riding when I revved it. But it went away after I let it cool off. Problem?

Comment

Originally posted by Scott
                        Although I notice a slight helicopter noise after long riding when I revved it. But it went away after I let it cool off. Problem?
                        Cheap oil, cam chain noise. Use better oil (JASO-MA + API SF/SF rated oils -- find one that matches both JASO&API). And remember that much of the US is in a heatwave -- if it's uncomfortable to stand barefoot on asphault, move up to a 20w50.

Cheers,
                        =-= The CyberPoet
                        Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Working...
                        X