X

89 Katana Running Rough after 2 days sitting in the rain

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 89 Katana Running Rough after 2 days sitting in the rain

Hey guys just wasn't sure if anyone would have any ideas for me....my 89 Katana 750 sat out in the rain for about 2 days and today when I started it it idle's fine, when I get out on the road it is a diffrent story it will rev up as high as I want it to but it feels as if it "isn't running on all cylinders".....I am lacking in power pretty bad and can tell the engine is starved for fuel (or something of the sort) at times it will buck forward and seem to have the power it should mostly at high rpm's ......I have drained the tank and put fresh gas in it and that did not remedy the situation. Now I'm questioning if the rain was not the issue....any help or suggeestions as to what I may do would be greatly appreciated I'm feeling a little stuck with vacation only 10 days away.

Thanks guys and keep it shiny side up
    Life comes fast pavement comes faster!sigpic

Check to see if any water is getting in/around the CDI, check your plug wires, and in general all connections and electrical switches should have a thin coating of dielectric grease applied.

Krey
    93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

did u drain the float bowls too?

Comment

I didn't drain the bowls, to do this I would need to remove the bowl on all 4 carbs right? I had the bike running for half a hour on the road so I figured anything in the carbs had been burnt off......if this is in deed a electricical issue hot weather for a few days should remedy it (at least temporarly) correct?

Waffenampt I notice your from Binghamton, my brother and his wife live in Johnson City Nice riding in that part of the state!
        Last edited by Emurph0; 06-23-2009, 09:10 PM.

Comment

If its water in the connectors they should dry after sitting in the hot for awhile. The float bowls should have a drain screw on each carb

Comment

UPDATE

Alright so I let it sit out in the sun for about a day and a half and now it runs just fine no problems so I would def say that the rain had taken it out of business, so now what? Do I replace the plug wires? I can't imagine it would be any other "electricial" issue I'm on my way on Vacation soon and don't want to be caught "sitting it out" while the other guys are tearing up the state of maine.....Any advice?

Comment

Originally posted by Emurph0 View Post
              UPDATE

Alright so I let it sit out in the sun for about a day and a half and now it runs just fine no problems so I would def say that the rain had taken it out of business, so now what? Do I replace the plug wires? I can't imagine it would be any other "electricial" issue I'm on my way on Vacation soon and don't want to be caught "sitting it out" while the other guys are tearing up the state of maine.....Any advice?
              Umm.....

Originally posted by Kreylyn View Post
              Check to see if any water is getting in/around the CDI, check your plug wires, and in general all connections and electrical switches should have a thin coating of dielectric grease applied.

Krey

Krey
              93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Working...
              X