X

Cross threaded oil pan

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cross threaded oil pan

Friend of mine aquired this 93 kat 600 used, never did anything to it. Rode it for a while but thats it. I'm working on it and doing some basic maintenance. Went to drain the oil and the drain plug got tight about halfway out. The start of the thread on the plug near the magnet was peeled back. I pulled the oil pan and found this.( see pic) I guess there's no fixing this but my concern is since we don't know how long it's been like this, whats the chance of loose metal running through the engine? I hadn't cut the filter open yet to see what that looks like. So, get a new oil pan and forget it or is there something else I should do/check. Any suggestions appreciated.
    Attached Files

cant you run a tap in it to clean it up any?

Comment

Lol...there's no "cleaning it up" when threads pull all the way out.

I forget how the plug seals. Is it a pipe thread or is there a washer? Either way, I bet you could find a heli coil to fix it.

Since the plug is magnetic, I wouldn't worry about any metal in the engine. Besides, any metal in the oil would be pretty evident.

You can always take the pan off and clean it if it really bothers you.

Comment

Then get a fumoto valve

New to Katriders? Click Here!

Comment

Originally posted by GytRDunKat View Post
          Then get a fumoto valve
          Ditto. Bump it up one size (carefully) and Fumoto that bad boy.
          90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
          I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
          Originally posted by soulless kaos
          but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

Now that I see what a helicoil looks like, I'm wondering if that's one already in the oil pan. That metal sure looks mighty thick to be stock oil pan drain plug threads. But it did have stock drain plug/ washer with no leaks.

Comment

put bubble gum and jb weld on it should fix ur problems

Comment

That looks like a heli-coil. It looks like it wasn't done correctly, so that when the drain plug was put back in it screwed itself up into the pan.
                sigpic

Comment

That's what it looks like to me a Heli-coil.
                  sigpic

RIP CP
                  50th Anniv R6
                  95 Katana 600
                  http://www.assfaultjunkies.com/index.php

Comment

That looks like a heli-coil.
                    +1
                    Carefully remove and put a new one in. It may happen again heli-coils seem to run tight.

Comment

if the pan comes off easy , pull it . take it to a motor rebuild shop and have the repair done right ..weld and tapped right and have the fumoto valve installed .. should be a cheap fix . dont strip the bolts putting the pan back on

Comment

Thanks for the replies. FYI The pan is already off, that's the inside of the pan in the pic.

Comment

I know they make steel inserts simalar to heli coils but they are just inserts. I used them to repair spark plug threads a few times. Im pretty sure they sell them at napa. http://www.locknstitch.com/inserts.htm there are some links in this link that show what im talking about.
                          Last edited by waffenampt; 06-24-2009, 10:20 AM.

Comment

wow! those may work I`m saving that page

Comment

Thanks again.

Comment

Working...
                              X