spacer thingie

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• spacer thingie

hey everybody,

i installed a factory pro stage 1 kit in my 90 kat 600. I replaced the needles with the fp ones and found that the little plastic spacer that sat on top of the factory needle (rests on the e-clip) is too small for the fp needle.....so, i left it off.....since there weren't any replacement spacers in the kit, I imagine those little spacer dudes aren't necessary. Now, I'm not talking about the little washer-thingie that the spring sits on....I'm talking about the spacer that sits in between the washer thingie and the e-clip on the needle.

Also, it could be the gas fumes but it seems like the FP needles are slightly longer than the stock needles.

I'm trying to figure out why in the heck my poor bike won't run properly. She's hard to start and won't idle. She bogs when I goose the throttle. I pull the plugs but they aren't wet and not ash-white. Of course, they aren't the golden brown they are supposed to be either.

I've verified float height numerous times and can swear on my plant's grave that the carbs are clean, the tank is clean, AF screws are 2.5 out, carbs are getting fuel and no vacuum leaks. Spark plugs are trashed by now but I have two sets on the way. I also picked up a set of '04 600 kat coils just to be safe.

Anyway, sorry for the novel but I'm just trying to work through stuff so I can get out and ride this ugly monster.

Thanks for any tips!

Joe
    "The Lord will be awesome to them, for He will reduce to nothing all the gods of the earth; people shall worship Him, each one from his place, indeed all the shores of the nations." - Zeph. 2:11

could be the primary jets {the smaller one}has something in them or one of them as i have had issues on other bikes that acted just like that.

if the bogging stops after 4-5 k on tach. as somewhere in this range the main jets kick in .i gues those jets work somewhat like a rocket as far as first phase second phase {sort of but not realy for lack of better words} .and if the primary jet has something it it
    it isnt getting fuel down low .

could be a speck of something floating around in carb bowls that get suck into jet but wont pass it .shut off the bike it falls back down untill it get sucked up again to start all over lol

or it could be the needles are to long lol
    Last edited by wepainters; 06-23-2009, 02:20 AM. Reason: left something out

Comment

Originally posted by joe View Post
      hey everybody,

i installed a factory pro stage 1 kit in my 90 kat 600. I replaced the needles with the fp ones and found that the little plastic spacer that sat on top of the factory needle (rests on the e-clip) is too small for the fp needle.....so, i left it off.....since there weren't any replacement spacers in the kit, I imagine those little spacer dudes aren't necessary. Now, I'm not talking about the little washer-thingie that the spring sits on....I'm talking about the spacer that sits in between the washer thingie and the e-clip on the needle.

Also, it could be the gas fumes but it seems like the FP needles are slightly longer than the stock needles.

I'm trying to figure out why in the heck my poor bike won't run properly. She's hard to start and won't idle. She bogs when I goose the throttle. I pull the plugs but they aren't wet and not ash-white.

Joe
      That isn't a stock piece, so...

You didn't say what you set your eclip at?... You may need to move it down a notch or 2.

There should be parts on the needle... the eclip, a plastic spacer under the eclip, and the plastic washer on top of the eclip for the spring to sit on.

Krey
      93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

This was the stock setup. The spacer labeled #2 is the one in question.

This is the setup with the FP kit (e-clip on 3rd position from top)....the #2 spacer is too small to fit on the top of the needle, so I omitted it.

Ok, so I just realized I have the setup backwards.....the #2 spacer goes underneath the e-clip, not on top of it. Regardless, the FP needle is still too big for that spacer so I still have to leave it off....at least, that is how I see it.
        Last edited by joe; 06-23-2009, 02:39 PM.
        "The Lord will be awesome to them, for He will reduce to nothing all the gods of the earth; people shall worship Him, each one from his place, indeed all the shores of the nations." - Zeph. 2:11

Comment

Originally posted by joe View Post

This was the stock setup. The spacer labeled #2 is the one in question.

This is the setup with the FP kit (e-clip on 3rd position from top)....the #2 spacer is too small to fit on the top of the needle, so I omitted it.

Ok, so I just realized I have the setup backwards.....the #2 spacer goes underneath the e-clip, not on top of it. Regardless, the FP needle is still too big for that spacer so I still have to leave it off....at least, that is how I see it.
          You won't get the bike running well without it or a replacement.

That spacer is needed under the needle for it to be anywhere near what is needed for the needle to function correctly. Each of those eclip settings is a major difference in performance, and that is taking in having that spacer. Look at how thick it is, and hopefully you will see that isn't really a good option.

Drill out the center holes a little bit to make them work, but don't just discard them.

Krey
          93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Cool,

Thanks alot Krey, I bet putting those back on will solve a lot of issues.

Comment

Working...
            X