No announcement yet.
X

does my bike have the original motor??

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• does my bike have the original motor??

soo I have a mystery that I have been trying to figure out. I bought a 1988 gsx600f.. so I thought. it says gsx600f on the head tube and is indeed a katana chassis, but the title that does match the bike(vin for vin) says gsxr600. I finally got to the dmv today and when sending for the title the dmv lady told me that the title vin history had been modified due to mechanical change. everything went fine and I'm all registered now. then I went to get an insurance quote and the insurance guy said the same thing.... WTF!! everything is fine with insuring it and all, but what has been done to my bike?? can someone tell me what numbers are supposed to be stamped on the crankcase for 1988 katana 600?? and what numbers for air/oil cooled gsxr1100?? the guy that had the bike before me said his friend that he got it from may have done a motor swap, and the 1100 is the only one I know that would still look similar to stock. please help me.. pics, links, anything! thanks-kalen

maybe the trans went out and they used a gsxr bottom end to repace it with the air cooled top end of the org.

Comment

hmm, would that work? I'm not familiar yet with what motor combos work together.

Comment

Might be a GSXR750 engine. The GSXR750 cylinders are bigger OD where they go into the block than the 600, and it wouldn't seem logical to go with a smaller cylinders and pistons than the engine likely had on it stock. If it is an 1100 engine you should be able to pull the tank and see where they had to notch the crossmembers (about 4" wide x 1/2" or so thick section that has to be removed) on top of the frame to clear the breather box on top of the valve cover. If it's not notched, then it isn't an 1100 (1050 or 1127), but could be a 750. A bandit 1200 also fits but still needs the notching to the frame.
        Last edited by Psycho1; 06-22-2009, 11:43 PM.
        John,
        '05 GSXR750, '86 FZX700 Fazer, wifes bike '02 R6
        sigpic

Comment

okay I'll take a look when I get off work. is there any way to tell what motor it is by the numbers on the crank case?

Comment

Krey
            93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Resurrecting this one to find the outcome..... What did you find out?

And nobody bothered to point out that you could look at the bottom of the cylinders and find a displacement stamping. 599cc for the 600 kat, 748cc for all 750 kats and 88-89 GSXR750's, and 749cc for all other oil cooled GSXR750's.
              Any and all statements by Loudnlow7484 are merely his own opinions, and not necessarily the opinion of Katriders.com. Anything suggested by him is to be followed at your own risk, and may result in serious injury or death. Responses from this member have previously been attributed to all of the following: depression, insomnia, nausea, suicidal tendencies, and panic. Please consult a mental health professional before reading any post by Loudnlow7484.

Comment

But no DMV is going to care about a stamp on the head, they go by the VIN and the frame.
                -Steve

sigpic
                Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
                Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

Originally posted by loudnlow7484 View Post
                  Resurrecting this one to find the outcome..... What did you find out?

And nobody bothered to point out that you could look at the bottom of the cylinders and find a displacement stamping. 599cc for the 600 kat, 748cc for all 750 kats and 88-89 GSXR750's, and 749cc for all other oil cooled GSXR750's.
                  Did you read all the info the link I posted gives you, including how to verify the engine size, model, year, make, and everything else you ever wanted to know based upon numbers and stamps at various locations on the bike?.... jus sayn....

Krey
                  93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Originally posted by Kreylyn View Post
                    Did you read all the info the link I posted gives you, including how to verify the engine size, model, year, make, and everything else you ever wanted to know based upon numbers and stamps at various locations on the bike?.... jus sayn....

Krey
                    Ah, but your link wouldn't make the distinction between the 748cc and 749cc engines. It would only narrow it down to a set cc range that it could be.

Originally posted by steves View Post
                    But no DMV is going to care about a stamp on the head, they go by the VIN and the frame.
                    If I'm not reading it wrong, he said that it is registered and insured already..... he's just looking for answers about the actual state of his bike.
                    Last edited by loudnlow7484; 08-10-2009, 10:00 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
                    Any and all statements by Loudnlow7484 are merely his own opinions, and not necessarily the opinion of Katriders.com. Anything suggested by him is to be followed at your own risk, and may result in serious injury or death. Responses from this member have previously been attributed to all of the following: depression, insomnia, nausea, suicidal tendencies, and panic. Please consult a mental health professional before reading any post by Loudnlow7484.

Comment

What wasn't clear to me is did they title it as a GSXF or GSXR? He said it was previously titled as a GSXR which I don't understand at all either. It shouldn't matter if there is a B12 under the fairings. It is still a Katana motorcycle. Just like if you drop a blown 454 into a Pinto.... it's still a Pinto on the title and registration.

Greg

COURAGE -

Freedom is the sure possession of those alone
                      who have the courage to defend it.

First Sergeant(Ret) - US Army - 21 years

Comment

Working...
                      X