X

RTV, poor mans gasket?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RTV, poor mans gasket?

So Ive got my case split to fix my trans. My wife has been sick this week and off work so I dont have an extra cash. I bought the bearing and seals I needed I just didnt have $50 more for the cover gaskets.

I figure if the covers leak, I can replace them after the motor is in the bike. Anyone had any luck with just plain RTV and no paper gasket?
    Originally posted by arsenic
    93 octane fuel and K&N pod filters rock.

clean gasketed surfaces with laquer thinner and every bolt could come out and it still wont leak
    problem then is you may not be able to get covers off again

Permatex makes a product called "Right Stuff" works really well but not cheap

they also make one part # 2C, works well with gaskets for the ones that always leak
    you may get away with it with old gasket
    Blood , its in you to give! http://www.blood.ca/

Comment

$50 for the cover gaskets??? Holy Crap!!!

I wouldn't suggest using RTV alone. If any oil / grease residue is left, the RTV won't seal in those spots resulting in leakage.

Besides, if it did work and later on you remove them to install new gaskets, You'll lose the $ you laid out for the oil.
      It would't be any fun if it was easy! BUT, it does have to be this much fun!!

Comment

DONT use anything but the Suzuki bond or yamabond on the cases. I will guarantee it will com back to haunt you. Maybe on the engine covers but not the cases.
        Must read for carb tuners......http://www.factorypro.com/tech/tech_...m_engines.html

Comment

i use rtv as gaskets for my exhaust, but i wouldnt trust it on something constantly moving hot oil around.

Comment

They sell gasket paper big enough for you to make your own gaskets. Also if you have uneven cases you can coat the gasket paper lightly with a very thin layer of the sealer.

Comment

RTV is brilliant stuff for blocking oilways hence wrecking cams & bearings i steer clear of that muck as much as poss & only use suzuki bond on crank cases
              Renthals & twin spots do not make a streetfighter !

Comment

[QUOTE=tone;1747238]RTV is brilliant stuff for blocking oilways hence wrecking cams & bearings i steer clear of that muck as much as poss & only use suzuki bond on crank cases[/QUOTE

Yep. If you have excess it squeezes out and falls into the motor and still sets up. Don't ask me how I know that. Suzukibond will actually harden and stay put where it squeezed out at.
                Must read for carb tuners......http://www.factorypro.com/tech/tech_...m_engines.html

Comment

Working...
                X