X

I need some more insight!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I need some more insight!

Hey everybody, I have a 90 Kat 600 that I'm trying to get up and running.

I have uploaded some videos that better depict what the bike is doing.

Here is what I have done so far:

valve adjustment, carb tear-down and thorough cleaning, factory pro jet kit (112.5 main, needles on 2nd position from top), ignition advancer, new o-rings and gaskets (as described in carbs 101), float height at 14mm (as per factory pro instructions), new ngk spark plugs, new o-rings on carburetor boots, new air cleaner. Oh yeah, a/f screws are 2.5 out. I also made sure that none of the clamps were overtightened.

I'll let the videos speak for themselves

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6pvW2T8a8YA"]YouTube - dscn1063[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E-cPH5s0aaw"]YouTube - dscn1062[/ame]

Anyway, I hope that someone with more experience can pick up something from these videos and offer a suggestion or two. I honestly don't know what else to do.

EDIT: pulled the plugs and all are white........so, she's lean at idle right? I'm going to pull the carbs again and verify correct float height.
    Last edited by joe; 06-20-2009, 04:30 PM.
    "The Lord will be awesome to them, for He will reduce to nothing all the gods of the earth; people shall worship Him, each one from his place, indeed all the shores of the nations." - Zeph. 2:11

The URL contained a malformed video ID

Comment

dang it
      ok, let me see if i can fix it

ok, fixed.
      Last edited by joe; 06-20-2009, 04:06 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
      "The Lord will be awesome to them, for He will reduce to nothing all the gods of the earth; people shall worship Him, each one from his place, indeed all the shores of the nations." - Zeph. 2:11

Comment

it sound like the idle is not set right thats y it dies or the floats
        thats my guess but dont take my word on it i might be wrong

the top end of the rpm range sounds ok but its the bottom that sounds wierd

Comment

If there isn't a vacuum issue, only 3 things really control the idle...

A/F screw setting
          Float Height
          Pilot Jets

If the jets are clean, and the floats are correct (needles working properly) then adjust the A/F screw settings out 1/2 a turn (3) and try again. Keep trying that till you get to 4.5 turns out. If it STILL won't idle at that point, you need to look at the floats/pilot jets again. Something isn't right there.

Krey
          93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

well, i think i figured it out.....no i didn't....i guessed and it seemed to work. I pulled the carbs off and verified float height. The bike would not idle and I would get a serious bog when i tried to goose the throttle. In my desperation, I changed all the needle heights from the 2nd position to the 3rd position. I compared the FP needle with the stock needle and it appears the 3rd position is comparable to stock. So, essentially, I took it back to stock as far as the needles are concerned. I also removed some inline filters I had installed.

Now, she idles smoothly and I have smooth acceleration throughout the RPM range. There is still some hesitation when i romp on the throttle, but I have yet to complete a carb sync. First, I need to figure out what liquid to use that is heavy enough to prevent the carbs from sucking it up the tube. I was using 10-40 oil (in a tube that was approximately 24-36" long) but that didn't seem to work.

A quick prayer to keep me from setting the bike ablaze and some guesswork appear to have worked wonders. Now, I'm gonna
            Last edited by joe; 06-20-2009, 08:06 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by joe View Post
              well, i think i figured it out.....no i didn't....i guessed and it seemed to work. I pulled the carbs off and verified float height. The bike would not idle and I would get a serious bog when i tried to goose the throttle. In my desperation, I changed all the needle heights from the 2nd position to the 3rd position. I compared the FP needle with the stock needle and it appears the 3rd position is comparable to stock. So, essentially, I took it back to stock as far as the needles are concerned. I also removed some inline filters I had installed.

Now, she idles smoothly and I have smooth acceleration throughout the RPM range. There is still some hesitation when i romp on the throttle, but I have yet to complete a carb sync. First, I need to figure out what liquid to use that is heavy enough to prevent the carbs from sucking it up the tube. I was using 10-40 oil (in a tube that was approximately 24-36" long) but that didn't seem to work.

A quick prayer to keep me from setting the bike ablaze and some guesswork appear to have worked wonders. Now, I'm gonna
              Use the dual bottle setup, instead of a single tube...

Krey
              93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

darn it, i may have spoken too soon. I took the bike out for a spin around the block and, for awhile, it was very responsive and smooth through acceleration. Now, when i goose the throttle it is very sluggish to respond. I think I have fouled the plugs. I'll take them out tomorrow to confirm.

Comment

Runs great cold and gets worse as it gets warmer sounds like a rich condition.

Oh and quit hitting the throttle with the choke on.
                  90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
                  I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
                  Originally posted by soulless kaos
                  but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

For manometer fluid - go to the drug store and get some glycerin. Throw a little blue or black ink in it and you're good to go.
                    2000 Katana 600
                    2011 Triumph Sprint GT

Comment

Working...
                    X