changing spark plug question

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• changing spark plug question

Hi,

I went and purchased 4 spark plugs for my 89 Katana, both of my sparkplug sockets don't fit. I guess there is a specific one for bikes?? Also, one of the boots on the spark plug wire is falling apart, are those boots/wires available or do i have to purchase the entire "coil unit"???

Thanks
    hbc

I bought like four different brands of sockets until I found one that would fit. It is a cheap one with very thin sidewalls. Took a while to figure that one out. I think I got it at Walmart?

Anyhow you can also just buy the parts. Look at some of the online parts dealers and select the appropriate subcatogory on the micro fiche.

Good luck!
    89' Katana 600

Comment

Is this a pre 98 thing? I just used the one included in the tool kit under the seat.
      Kyle

Comment

i went to sears and bought an 18mm spark plug socket. the boots screw on so if you have the extra slack un screw it then cut off the bad part and screw it back on.

Comment

Don't know if it is a pre 98 thing but I no have me no spark plug thing in the tool bag. Don't know if it was not standard w/ pre 98 or if other owners just lost it or what.

It was really pissin me off for a good two days or so though.

I also came across a post somewhere in here after I had gone through all this that was saying the same thing so??
          89' Katana 600

Comment

Just need to find the right socket , like what was mentioned above . The stock toolkit (which I E-bayed_ SHOULD come with a plug wrench , but a cheap socket works better .
            I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Yeah, my pre-98 had a socket for it. Didn't realize it though until I tried the 10 I already had .
              2002 R1
              Yoshi TRS exhaust, Undertail, Ohlins Steering Stabilizer, Dark Windshield, Frame Sliders.

Comment

Originally posted by SurfinCR
                i went to sears and bought an 18mm spark plug socket. the boots screw on so if you have the extra slack un screw it then cut off the bad part and screw it back on.

Thanks, i just picked up the 18mm and its perfect.
                I ordered the boot from the dealer .. $8. Getting it on friday. I think the previous owner kept on cutting the bad part off, its less than an inch long right now., anyways should have a new boot by friday.

Thanks
                hbc

Comment

Hey no problem, on the cutting part though i was talking about cutting the wire part so the boot can have a good bite onto the wire. you still may want to with the new boot.

Comment

Working...
                  X