X

Bike doesn't run right

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bike doesn't run right

Whats up all...I have a 94 Kat 600 and I have been having some problems with the way it runs...Just yesterday i changed the plugs correctly gapped them and checked wires and now the bike runs like it is only sparking on three cylinders...Lack of power; change in exhaust tone; and the idle is really low, enough to where it stalls when not in gear even when i turned up the idle speed...I am becoming very frustrated so if anyone can give me some advice as what I need to try next I would greatly appreciate it...Thanks to all Andrew P.S. I had the carbs cleaned a month ago so i know it can't be that...Thanks again
    94 Katana 600
    92 TSi Talon

how did you check the wires? Just visual or did you use an ohms meter?
    I don't have a short temper. I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.

Comment

Just a visual, do you think it could be the wires, and how hard is it to change the wires out
      94 Katana 600
      92 TSi Talon

Comment

Re: Bike doesn't run right

Originally posted by Talon1789
        I had the carbs cleaned a month ago so i know it can't be that...Thanks again
        Never say never.. Something could have come loose..

Comment

Originally posted by Talon1789
          Just a visual, do you think it could be the wires, and how hard is it to change the wires out
          yup...I do think it could be. my bike is a 93...just a year older than yours, and mine were shot. well, 2 of them anyway. I did my tune-up....plugs, air filter, oil change, valves adjusted....all at the dealers. when I went and picked it up, it ran great. i took it home in the trailer and unloaded. the next day it would not start. it would backfire, start, stall, backfire, start, stall....then it would not start at all. when wires are that old, you have to be extremely gentle in removing them. you could have disconected the wire from the terminal inside the boot. it is common. wires are easy to change. you just have to remove all the fairings to get at the coils and have room to work. one way to test it is to remove the plugs and then test each wire by cranking it over with the plug laid against a ground, such as the engine, and see if it fires. check each wire like that. be sure to remove all plugs cuz the engine could start on 3 cylinders.

plug wires...especially older ones, always seem to get neglected. technically, 10 years is past their lifespan, although it is common for them to go past that.

Comment

I think my plug wires are shot. I was having a similar problem after cleaning my carbs, new plugs, etc. I pulled the coils and the plug wires, tested the resistance with an ohm meter, but I'm not sure what the resistance should be, so the test didn't really do me any good. I checked the manual, but couldn't find any info. I ended up ordering some new wires from dennis kirk, since i'm pretty sure they were the stock wires. Cost for new wire was $2.99 for 72". I called the local shops, only 1 carried wire on a spool and they wanted $2.50 per foot.
            Does anyone know what the resistance should read on the coils and the plug wire?
            Thanks
            'He who is not afraid will always be safe'
            --Lao Tzu

Comment

it is in my manual cuz i read it....or maybe i read it on the net buy doing a google. if I find it I will post it.

Comment

Thanks everyone I am gonna do some work on it in the next few days and try to figure everything out
                94 Katana 600
                92 TSi Talon

Comment

coil prime 2-4 ohms, sec 30-40 k-ohms (plugwire including boot)

Comment

Working...
                  X