X

Starting up after storage...

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Starting up after storage...

I had some trouble starting the bike after being in storage for a year and a half. I couldn't find the problem. I finally found out that it was the clutch switch. I was stoked to get it started! I can't wait to ride. HOWEVER, once started I noticed that there was a significant amount of white smoke coming from the lowest point of the headers. Not sure if it's just gathered moisture or possibly some sediment that had gotten knocked loose. There's nothing on the exhaust that could be burning. I didn't see anyone else posting anything similar. Got any ideas? Thanks.
    Last edited by Sierraromeobravo; 06-18-2009, 09:19 PM. Reason: forgot something
    Are we riding yet?

Amount of what?????

Comment

once started I noticed that there was a significant amount coming from the lowest point of the headers.
      assuming you are talking about smoke, maybe some rodents made a nest there and left over some seed hulls and whatnot.

otherwise maybe an oil leak around the filter or bottom end of the motor collected and coated the header pipes..

Comment

smoke....sorry, I was distracted writing this.
        Are we riding yet?

Comment

is it definately coming from the header? or is is possible that the crankcase vent hose is ran down there..

Comment

Originally posted by Rowdy View Post
            is it definately coming from the header? or is is possible that the crankcase vent hose is ran down there..
            Definatly the header. I thought it might be excess oil on the underside or the engine but it's not.
            Are we riding yet?

Comment

What type of smell was there?? How was it stored, wrapped up, covered. Had the headers been painted recently, are they rusty now?

Comment

Originally posted by Suzy750f View Post
                What type of smell was there?? How was it stored, wrapped up, covered. Had the headers been painted recently, are they rusty now?
                It was stored in a storage unit (garage style), not covered (by a tarp or anything). Headers are not painted or anything. Were rusted before storage and continue to be rusted. I can't recall a smell. I'd have to start it again. I do remember that I was right up there and didn't smell anything more than normal exhaust fumes.
                Last edited by Sierraromeobravo; 06-19-2009, 12:05 AM.
                Are we riding yet?

Comment

I've had smoke when I started the bike up after sitting all winter but not anything like you're describing. Hm...

Comment

Working...
                  X