X

took her first breath today in over a year

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• took her first breath today in over a year

Well, i got my 90 kat 600 put back together after installing the factory pro kit and ignition advancer as well as doing other general maintenance stuff.

I tore the carbs down, thoroughly cleaned them and replaced all of the rubber parts outlined in the Carbs 101 thing. I visually synced them and put the a/f screws at 2.5. I left the stock mains in and set the needles to the second position (from the top) as directed by the instructions that came with the kit. I also put the floats at approximately 14.6 mm.

The good news she doesn't leak anything () and starts right up. It also idles somewhat smoothly at ~1100. I installed new o-rings on the intake boots and tried to make darn sure that all clamps were tight (but not too tight) to eliminate a vacuum source.

Occasionally, the rpm's will jump to 3 grand or so. I've learned that this is usually indicative of a vacuum leak or perhaps a lean condition. The throttle cable is not binding and appears to be operating correctly.

Another weird thing is that cylinders 2 and 3 don't appear to be firing. I'm gonna play with it again tomorrow but I just wanted to see what some people thought.

In my brain, first thing that comes to mind is incorrect float height.

I appreciate any insight.
    "The Lord will be awesome to them, for He will reduce to nothing all the gods of the earth; people shall worship Him, each one from his place, indeed all the shores of the nations." - Zeph. 2:11

Open your gas cap and with a flashlight look inside the tank for rust. If you have rust, treat it.

Comment

oh, sorry, i forgot to mention this......i rigged up a temporary gravity-fed tank thing so I could keep the carbs uncovered to do a sync.

I treated my tank over the winter with that por-15 stuff, so I'm curious to see how "good" a job I did when it comes time to put the tank back on.
      "The Lord will be awesome to them, for He will reduce to nothing all the gods of the earth; people shall worship Him, each one from his place, indeed all the shores of the nations." - Zeph. 2:11

Comment

I don't remember what coil fires what cylinder but if the bike idles and does not sound like it's missing, there may be dirt in the pilot jets.

Comment

Cylinder 2 and 3 is fired from the same coil, so could be a problem there.
          Easy enough to take the plugs out and see if you have spark.
          2002 GSXF 750

Comment

thanks for the replies everybody. I think the problem was I didn't have one of the wires connected securely on the right coil. I'm firing on all 4 now.

I took it for a spin and she idles great but bogs down when I try to accelerate. Once she hits about, oh, i dunno, 4k or so, she runs like a bat out of hell.

So, I have some more tinkering to do. This first run was more for reference...I rigged up a sync device so I'll do that go again. The factory pro info suggests that a bog in the mid-range is indicative of too much fuel because of incorrect float height.

Comment

Working...
            X