X

STATOR COVER DAMGED.. help

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• STATOR COVER DAMGED.. help

hey guys my stator cover has been damaged. it cracked becuase my stupid cuz dropped the bike. well I need your guys help. can you tell me what i can do to this. it bent the bolt hole at the bottom of the cover and it cracked the inner housing of the bolt. so could you guys give me an idea to do some quick and cheap fix please. thanks.

please look at the pic. thanks.

oh also where can i get a gasket for the cover. i asked a dealer around my shouse and they said its going to be 210$. please let me know if anybody around mi can get a gasket. thanks.
    Attached Files

gasket

Buy a roll of gasket mater1al at a auto parts store l1ke $5 and trace out the cover and cut to f1t

Comment

You might be able to find someone to TIG the cover back together if it's aluminum. Screw it flat to a board and get the crack closed so it holds the proper shape during welding.

The broken bolt hole looks like it'd be a bear to weld. If you could get someone to do it, you should take components out of that chamber to give the welder more room to work. Otherwise, you're probably just gonna have to do without that bolt hole.

Buy a roll of gasket mater1al at a auto parts store l1ke $5 and trace out the cover and cut to f1t
      An easy way to trace the shape is to place the gasket material over the cover, put bolts through the gasket material into the bolt holes to hold it in place, and then go around the edges tapping with the side of a screw driver. This will pinch the gasket material between the sharp corner of the cover and the screw driver, slowly cutting it out. once the outside is done, do a rough cut of the inside, and then repeat the same procedure, tapping around the inside edge.

Comment

thank you for the advice but is there anything i can do like just JB weld the crack. would it leak?

Comment

that's NOT a stater cover. Katana's don't have a stator. That's a STARTER GEAR cover. Ok, I quoted you $45 shipped on a new cover, you said "I thought it would be cheaper." Have fun paying the $210, because the $45 shipped offer no longer stands.
          Last edited by arsenic; 06-17-2009, 01:36 PM.

Comment

YES, you can JB Weld the crack. Better than JB Weld would be the 2 part aluminum epoxy PUTTY. Force it into the hole & crack & after it hardens you can re-drill & tap the hole. Ray.
            Last edited by suzukiray; 06-17-2009, 01:39 PM.
            85GS1150E 83GS1100SD 83GS1100ES 82GS1000SZ 96GSXR1500DRAGBIKE 96GSXR1400DRAGBIKE 90GSXR1166DRAGBIKE 05SDG110PITBIKE & 8 QUADS!!! "Life is tough! It's even tougher when you're stupid!" John Wayne

Comment

damn dude ur screwed. better get somone to weld that or new case time

Comment

Have you checked out the parts fiche at bikebandit or ronayers? Starter covers, for katanas, seem to be going for about $125 new and the gaskets are around 10 bucks. Bike bandit usually makes good time on shipping. Check out ebay as well.
                "The Lord will be awesome to them, for He will reduce to nothing all the gods of the earth; people shall worship Him, each one from his place, indeed all the shores of the nations." - Zeph. 2:11

Comment

Originally posted by arsenic View Post
                  that's NOT a stater cover. Katana's don't have a stator. That's a STARTER GEAR cover. Ok, I quoted you $45 shipped on a new cover, you said "I thought it would be cheaper." Have fun paying the $210, because the $45 shipped offer no longer stands.
                  Talon why did you even second guess Arsenic?

Comment

Never second guess Arsenic...it makes him mean!

I would use JB WELD or epoxy. I used it to fix stripped threads on a friends Kat on the same cover. I has been holding for over a year and doesn't leak oil on his boot anymore.

Comment

just dont dropp it again on that side again or you''ll have a jb weld floater in your cases

Comment

Working...
                      X