X

Lift/Stand

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lift/Stand

I am wanting your input on what type/brand to purchase in order to service/change oil on my Katana 600. Thanks.

Originally posted by Enforcer View Post
    I am wanting your input on what type/brand to purchase in order to service/change oil on my Katana 600. Thanks.
    Don't really need a stand...

Even if you don't have a center stand or a car jack with a 2X4 1' long... , put it on the side stand, remove the drain bolt carefully, put your catch pail under it, stand up, straighten the bike for a moment by hand, let it drain.

Back on the side stand, remove the filter, put on the new, put back in the drain plug, fill with oil.

If it's on the side stand, the keep it in gear, and just don't be yanking real hard sideways.

Krey
    93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Yup, no stands for oil changes.
      90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
      I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
      Originally posted by soulless kaos
      but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

Originally posted by Kreylyn View Post
        Don't really need a stand...

Even if you don't have a center stand or a car jack with a 2X4 1' long... , put it on the side stand, remove the drain bolt carefully, put your catch pail under it, stand up, straighten the bike for a moment by hand, let it drain.

Back on the side stand, remove the filter, put on the new, put back in the drain plug, fill with oil.

If it's on the side stand, the keep it in gear, and just don't be yanking real hard sideways.

Krey
        Can you explain how to use the car jack with a 2x4 method? I don't want to screw anything up. Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by Enforcer View Post
          Can you explain how to use the car jack with a 2x4 method? I don't want to screw anything up. Thanks!

Car jack with the 4 wheels style (not a bottle jack) come in from the side. 2X4 about 1" long on the jack contact plate pointed out either side as well. When you raise the jack, the 2X4 should contact the lower engine frame rails and lift the bike. You wouldn't need to go far at all, so don't go jacking away.

Keep in mind you have plastics around there (if you have the lower fairing on) so pick your spot carefully, but it can be done with the lowers on infront of the oil pan if you cut the 2X4 just right to fit in and hit the rails but not stick out too far.

Also keep in mind not to block your access to the oil plug.

Krey
          93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Working...
          X