X

94 600 rear brake no feel?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 94 600 rear brake no feel?

Yesterday I was riding home from work. It was about 89 degrees with high humidity. I had ridden for about 30 minutes already with some stop and go traffic. I went to hit the rear brake and the lever kept going like no resistance. So I tap the lever several more times and nothing. I found that if I pushed all the way down then I could feel the brakes grabbing. Now I knew the pads were low because of squealing and I could see they needed replacing, however to just go completely seem strange. So, I decide to stop at the bike shop and pic up some pads. I was in the store about 15 minutes. When I came back out I instinctively hit the rear brake and all the feeling was back and I could feel the difference. I checked the brake level when I got home and it was half way. Could the brake fluid have heated up that quick so that there was no feel? I am going to change the pads but just curious.
    Last edited by redciv1; 06-16-2009, 11:10 AM.
    FROM WORK:
    "let's just say you are my favorite.I like a response back on the same day from work issues, not like a work husband who kind of heard a request and mentions it weeks later. just damn"

Definitely sounds like the brake fluid overheated.
    Be sure to change the fluid after replacing the pads.
    2002 GSXF 750

Comment

Dot 4 is the high temp than Dot 3, correct?
      FROM WORK:
      "let's just say you are my favorite.I like a response back on the same day from work issues, not like a work husband who kind of heard a request and mentions it weeks later. just damn"

Comment

Aye, that's correct. It should say on the label as well. I use dot 4
        '98 Suzuki GSX600 Katana

Comment

K I didn't know brake fluid could over heat.
          sigpic

Comment

Usually it's the water that's dissolved in the brake fluid that overheats and boils. This is why regular brake fluid changes are important. You have to get brake fluid pretty hot for it to boil.
            sigpic
            »Ross Wendell
            »1992 Katana 600, 1987 MR2 turbo, 2005 Corolla

Comment

And I would guess that the two owners before me probably never changed the fluid, only added probably.
              FROM WORK:

Comment

Could be, it should be replaced every two years (brake hoses every 4 years).

You should be able to tell if the fluid is old by the color.
                New fluid is virtually colorless (like water) and it goes darker (yellowish to brownish) with time.
                2002 GSXF 750

Comment

yep brake fluid

Comment

Flush your brake fluid yearly, it's cheap insurance to keep your brakes operating correctly.
                    Chris

Originally posted by jetmerritt
                    Save up for great gear and dress for the fall before you ride. If you can't afford good quality gear, don't ride. It's like saying you can't afford seat belts for your car. There are just no laws to make gear mandatory.

Comment

Either you somehow have air in the system or fluid failure either way its not a good thing. I would be checking into that asap.
                      Joker
                      The newest addition to the Family!
                      sigpic
                      stop by the garage for a better look!

Comment

Working...
                      X