X

Grrrr... it never ends!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Grrrr... it never ends!

I rode my bike to work today. This morning it fired up with no problems, as usually. However, when I got off I went out to start it and the starter turned over once then stopped. Now nothing at all happens when I press the start button (yes, nothing... no click or anything).

So, I guess I'm gonna check fuses (although I don't think there is one that would affect just the starter), the starter switch, then the starter relay.

Luckily, getting it started was no problem at all. Clicked it into 2nd gear and bump started it. Fired right up. Hah, it was almost easier than using the starter button!

Check the clutch safety switch, you can by-pass it to test.
    Must read for carb tuners......http://www.factorypro.com/tech/tech_...m_engines.html

Comment

Originally posted by kevin2502000 View Post
      Check the clutch safety switch, you can by-pass it to test.
      I'll definitely try that. Thanks for the tip.

Comment

Alright, clutch switch checks out.

Anyone wanna give me any tips on how to get to the starter? Or maybe where the starter relay is located?

Comment

Originally posted by primal View Post
          Alright, clutch switch checks out.

Anyone wanna give me any tips on how to get to the starter? Or maybe where the starter relay is located?

With the bike in gear rock it front to back. then put it back in neutral and see is the starter is stuck.
          Bling....

Comment

u getting juice to the other side of the solenoid?

Comment

Originally posted by ismatts View Post
              With the bike in gear rock it front to back. then put it back in neutral and see is the starter is stuck.
              The starter isn't stuck. There's no click coming from the starter relay.

u getting juice to the other side of the solenoid?
              If you'd read my thread, you'd know that I don't know where the starter relay even is.

Comment

Are you getting juice at all?
                Pain is just weakness leaving the body.
                -Unknown Author

The quarrels of lovers are the renewal of love.
                -Terence

Comment

Alright, I got it sorted out. The contacts on the starter switch were corroded. It seems weird to me that it would just suddenly stop rather than cut in and out, but a little emory cloth applied to the contacts and WHAM-O! She starts.

Comment

I had exactly the same thing happen to my '05 750.

I used a bit of wd-40 'cause I didn't have any dielectric grease.

Originally posted by primal View Post
                    Alright, I got it sorted out. The contacts on the starter switch were corroded. It seems weird to me that it would just suddenly stop rather than cut in and out, but a little emory cloth applied to the contacts and WHAM-O! She starts.
                    2015 KTM 1290 Super Adventure
                    2005 Suzuki 750 Katana, sold
                    1984 Kawasaki gpz 550, sold
                    1982 Suzuki gs400e - sold
                    1973 Honda cb350 - sold

Comment

Working...
                    X