X

Fixable?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fixable?

My 7 month old son and I went for a road trip to grandpa's house this weekend.

Unfortunately the bike and the wife stayed home.

End result was a clean garage and a busted kat.
    Attached Files

Replace the cover is the easy way.

I'm sure the cover could be repaired by welding/jb weld and some work, but... for the price I'm not sure it's worth going that route.

Krey
    93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Yeah that's a simple fix. I'd recommend replacing the seal that goes there as well. I had a similar accident with my kat a while back and I got the cover used from a member here, and the seal from bikebandit.com. You could get the seal from ronayers.com or your local dealership as well though, and of course you could get the cover from the same place if you want a brand new one.
      Katriders.com, we've got dumb answers!

Comment

Soooo Cheap! lol

Flipping covers $115 on bikebandit.
        Last edited by HS2020; 06-15-2009, 04:04 PM.

Comment

Vandil I can get you a new cover at my cost if you like. No biggie.
          www.mopowersports.com

Comment

Originally posted by HS2020 View Post
            Vandil I can get you a new cover at my cost if you like. No biggie.
            I'll shoot you a PM, I knew someone on here would have a hookup or good fix it advice.

Comment

Originally posted by Vandil View Post
              Soooo Cheap! lol

Flipping covers $115 on bikebandit.
              Or you could buy a used one alot cheaper...

Krey
              93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Originally posted by Kreylyn View Post
                Or you could buy a used one alot cheaper...

Krey
                Yep, if HS2020's price is still more than you want to pay then hit up Arsenic or the Parts Wanted section.. I'm sure someone's got an extra laying around.
                Katriders.com, we've got dumb answers!

Comment

I screwed mine down to a flat board with pieces of wood helping to press the crack close and keep the cover flat, and had a guy TIG it back together. Mainly went this route because I had just got the thing running, and I didn't want to wait any longer for a part to arrive.

Before After

Comment

ok i'll bite.. how did the kat end up that way ? wife knock it over cleaning or did she go for a spin ? hmmm

Comment

Originally posted by kidblooper View Post
                      ok i'll bite.. how did the kat end up that way ? wife knock it over cleaning or did she go for a spin ? hmmm
                      The storey goes she moved it infront of the side garage door, didn't latch the door and our 135lb dog plowed his way through the door and knocked my bike over.

Personally I'm thinking it likely had a crack started or a mico crack from the last time I put it down on the road. The garage floor has carpet, odd that just falling over cracked it like that.

Comment

Im pretty sure that cover is magnesium. If you can find a welder that knows how to weld that stuff it probly be cheaper than a new cover no guarenteeplus with welding there is a chance the case gets warped if he welds to hot, but a good welder should be able to do it.

Comment

Working...
                        X