No announcement yet.
X

Who sells bearing sets?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I did read it, I don't think you realize ball bearings and roller bearings ARE used as "engine bearings" in some bikes. I read the original post wrong, he was asking about his crank and rod bearings. I was referring to his transmission shaft bearings. In fact he wouldn't be able to change out roller or ball bearings on a crankshaft himself without a press and the skill to put it back together "straight". Arsenic and Ray corrected, then you jumped on board calling a ball bearing, a roller bearing, and saying the 2 piece bearings are "engine bearings". I know many engines that don't have any 2 piece bearing systems and instead use roller and ball bearings. Thats what my argument is right now. You are wrong if that is what you think. Cars, yes, bikes, no.
    Must read for carb tuners......http://www.factorypro.com/tech/tech_...m_engines.html

Comment

Kevin, seriously, you lost Get over it. You're not proving to ANYONE you were right.

Originally posted by kevin2502000 View Post
      Also no one mentioned about checking the clearances on the crank/rod bearings, (2-piece) with plasti-gage to double check clearances.
      you might want to take a gander at the manual pages I posted.
      Last edited by arsenic; 06-15-2009, 04:03 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

Joker
        The newest addition to the Family!
        sigpic
        stop by the garage for a better look!

Comment

Wow I didnt mean to twist any panties, just curious if anyone sold a whole bearing kit.
          Originally posted by arsenic
          93 octane fuel and K&N pod filters rock.

Comment

Hemikat, it isn't your fault. I think Kevin just didn't take the time to READ the post to figure out the needed crank & rod bearings were for a PLAIN bearing engined Kat. Kevin, ALL of my GS dragbikes use roller bearing cranks but THIS thread wasn't about a bike with a roller bearing crank! The air/oil cooled Kats ALL have PLAIN bearing cranks! Suzuki quit making roller bearing cranks in the 80s because the production costs were so high. Do you get it now, Kevin?!! Ray.
            Last edited by suzukiray; 06-15-2009, 10:48 AM.
            85GS1150E 83GS1100SD 83GS1100ES 82GS1000SZ 96GSXR1500DRAGBIKE 96GSXR1400DRAGBIKE 90GSXR1166DRAGBIKE 05SDG110PITBIKE & 8 QUADS!!! "Life is tough! It's even tougher when you're stupid!" John Wayne

Comment

So If I get this right.... each bearing in my crank/rod could be different? Did Suzuki put under/oversized bearings when needed? In my experience (with cars) if an under seized bearing was needed they would machine the crank so all the bearings were the same. Not in this case I assume? So I guess I have to figure out which size bearing I need, I cant just order "standard bearings."

Comment

correct. You HAVE to go by the selection chart listed in the manual pages I posted. There is one for main crank bearings and one for rod bearings.

Comment

Originally posted by suzukiray View Post
                  Hemikat, it isn't your fault. I think Kevin just didn't take the time to READ the post to figure out the needed crank & rod bearings were for a PLAIN bearing engined Kat. Kevin, ALL of my GS dragbikes use roller bearing cranks but THIS thread wasn't about a bike with a roller bearing crank! The air/oil cooled Kats ALL have PLAIN bearing cranks! Suzuki quit making roller bearing cranks in the 80s because the production costs were so high. Do you get it now, Kevin?!! Ray.

YES! YES! YES! That was exactly what I was trying to say, you guys jumped all over me because you thought I was talking about the crank and rod bearings, (I just read a thread about swapping trannies and misread this post thinking he was talking about trans bearings) you guys corrected me and I re- read and agreed. I was disagreeing with you about the color codes because I thought we were talking about the ball bearings which you know are part # only. Does this make sense now? Then Newbie was trying to tell me in his expert wisdom all "engine bearings" were 2 piece. That was what pizzed me off because he is wrong. Like I said, had I read the post right the first time this wouldn't have been a debate. But my point all along was that you can buy those exact bearings at lower cost. I wouldn't have told him to replace the ball bearings on his crank, (if he had that type) because it is IMPOSSIBLE to do it yourself without a press and know how. Sorry hemi we ruined your thread, I was just trying to save you some $ by buying the roller bearings I thought you needed from the manufacturer.
                  Last edited by kevin2502000; 06-15-2009, 12:41 PM.
                  Must read for carb tuners......http://www.factorypro.com/tech/tech_...m_engines.html

Comment

considering post #1 STATES main/rod bearing, I have 0 clue why you thought that. Whatever dude, you were wrong. Ray and I were right. I win!

Originally posted by HemiKat View Post
                    Anyone know a manufacturer that sells a whole set of main/rod bearings?
                    see?
                    Last edited by arsenic; 06-15-2009, 01:08 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

Originally posted by kevin2502000 View Post
                      YES! YES! YES! That was exactly what I was trying to say, you guys jumped all over me because you thought I was talking about the crank and rod bearings, (I just read a thread about swapping trannies and misread this post thinking he was talking about trans bearings) you guys corrected me and I re- read and agreed. I was disagreeing with you about the color codes because I thought we were talking about the ball bearings which you know are part # only. Does this make sense now? Then Newbie was trying to tell me in his expert wisdom all "engine bearings" were 2 piece. That was what pizzed me off because he is wrong. Like I said, had I read the post right the first time this wouldn't have been a debate. But my point all along was that you can buy those exact bearings at lower cost. I wouldn't have told him to replace the ball bearings on his crank, (if he had that type) because it is IMPOSSIBLE to do it yourself without a press and know how. Sorry hemi we ruined your thread, I was just trying to save you some $ by buying the roller bearings I thought you needed from the manufacturer.
                      No biggie, it was entertaining.

Comment

Originally posted by arsenic View Post
                        considering post #1 STATES main/rod bearing, I have 0 clue why you thought that. Whatever dude, you were wrong. Ray and I were right. I win!

see?

Yes you do win, what I thought I read was not what was written if that makes sense. AFter you posted your manual page I went back and realized he did in fact say that. Thats is why I agreed. I think I compounded the confusion by using MY crank bearings on my rm250 as an example because they are the same type as the tranny bearings I THOUGHT he was referring. Hell I don't even think you can buy the 2 piece crank bearings at a bearing shop since the specs are probably specific to each case number. And you didnt try to convince me that a ball bearing was a roller bearing and is never used as an "engine bearing" I commend you for that and I'm giving you a big suck my sack followed by a

Originally posted by HemiKat View Post
                        No biggie, it was entertaining.

Free entertainment is the best.
                        Last edited by kevin2502000; 06-15-2009, 05:02 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

Kevin, it's interesting that you showed a pic of a GS roller bearing crank because THOSE rod & main bearings are NOT available outside of SUZUKI parts suppliers. Those are the only parts that use those bearings. Ray.
                          85GS1150E 83GS1100SD 83GS1100ES 82GS1000SZ 96GSXR1500DRAGBIKE 96GSXR1400DRAGBIKE 90GSXR1166DRAGBIKE 05SDG110PITBIKE & 8 QUADS!!! "Life is tough! It's even tougher when you're stupid!" John Wayne

Comment

[QUOTE=suzukiray;1742295]Kevin, it's interesting that you showed a pic of a GS roller bearing crank because THOSE rod & main bearings are NOT available outside of SUZUKI parts suppliers. Those are the only parts that use those bearings. Ray.[/QUOTE

Give me a picture of one of those outer bearings with the part # clear and I will check. Honestly I have never replaced them on mine when the crank twisted because I bought a welded crank with good bearings. I wouldn't have had the equipment to replace them anyways. I posted THAT picture because I thought it might look familiar to you and it was a close up PROVING not all cranks run the 2 piece bearings as newbie was swearing by. I am TELLING you I have replaced crank bearings on a RM250 right from the bearing manufacturer. Suzuki does not manufacture there own bearings, period. If you followed the last 20 posts, have you not comprehended I thought we were initially talking about TRANNY bearings and I KNOW those you can buy. Seriously give me a # and for chits and giggles I will check, you quite possibly could be correct on that. Right now if you are telling me every bearing on a Suzuki engine HAS to bought through a dealer you are wrong. If it has the part # and manufacturer it can bought. If there is no number, it would be by diameter inner and outer, but then it wouldn't be an exact oem replacement. For a crank or rod bearing that would be foolish. With those seating pins on those crank bearings they could be a specially made bearing just just for Suzuki. But go back to the tranny bearings where this argument first started, pop one out and take to a bearing distributor and see what they tell you. What do you want to discuss next, the weak cranks on those GS or the fracture prone clutch baskets? I may not build engines for a living but I have owned and worked on a few bikes and knew some great guys the did build drag bikes. Who do you think told me these things? I wouldn't argue if I haven't done it myself and know it to be true. See if there is a number on it.
                            Last edited by kevin2502000; 06-16-2009, 10:53 AM.

Comment

Working...
                            X