X

Who sells bearing sets?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who sells bearing sets?

Anyone know a manufacturer that sells a whole set of main/rod bearings? Ive got my case split and a few bearings look iffy, so I figured Id throw a new set in while I have access. RonAyers and Bike Bandit want to sell them individually, anyone sell them as a whole set?
    Originally posted by arsenic
    93 octane fuel and K&N pod filters rock.

Take them to any bearing shop and you can get them. Most people don't realize bearings are standard and easily looked up by diameter etc. I replaced the crank bearings in my rm250 for like $20 for the set compared to OEM for $60. I never buy OEM ballbearing sets.
    Must read for carb tuners......http://www.factorypro.com/tech/tech_...m_engines.html

Comment

The bearings he wants are NOT ball bearings & are only available in SPECIFIC sizes from a STOCK parts Suzuki supplier. You need to know the #s or letters on your cases & crank for EACH main bearing & the #s or letters on the rods & crank for EACH rod bearing set! There is NO other way. The # or letter combinations will tell you the COLOR code of the CORRECT bearings you need to order. Do NOT listen to inexperienced people that don't know what they are talking about when it comes to "plain" bearing engines! Ray.
      85GS1150E 83GS1100SD 83GS1100ES 82GS1000SZ 96GSXR1500DRAGBIKE 96GSXR1400DRAGBIKE 90GSXR1166DRAGBIKE 05SDG110PITBIKE & 8 QUADS!!! "Life is tough! It's even tougher when you're stupid!" John Wayne

Comment

I second that BIG TIME! Those plain crank bearings are a ten thousandth of of inch different. The yahoo at the "bearing" shop will screw that up real quick and you'll have loads of fun splitting the cases AGAIN to do what you should have done the first time.

Comment

I did read your post wrong, I thought you were looking for the tranny shaft ball bearings. I will agree i they are roller bearings go OEM , BUT suzuki does NOT make there own bearings. There are only a few bearing manufacturers out there and they make all bearings. It is a gimmick, repackage the same bearing with the same manufacturer slap a big S on it and mark up 70%. If they were roller bearing then go I would say take to bearfing shop.

Timken engineers and manufactures bearings and mechanical power transmission products. We use our knowledge to help global industries operate more efficiently.
          Last edited by kevin2502000; 06-15-2009, 12:39 AM.
          Must read for carb tuners......http://www.factorypro.com/tech/tech_...m_engines.html

Comment

he does NOT what bearings for the trans,
            Originally posted by HemiKat View Post
            Anyone know a manufacturer that sells a whole set of main/rod bearings?
            wtf are you talking about?

Originally posted by kevin2502000 View Post
            There are no "color codes" for those bearing, part# ONLY. You guys buy OEM Suzuki tires too? I will sell you a set.
            there sure as hell are dude, I've actually ordered sets of these, obviously you have not.

Ray is NOT wrong about this stuff. It's what he does for a living.

perhaps you should tell Suzuki there's no color code. Since that right out of THEIR manual.
            their not "roller" bearings, they are "plain" bearings
            Last edited by arsenic; 06-15-2009, 12:55 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

Kevin, sometimes it's less embarrassing to do a little research before you have to open your mouth again to change feet. Ray.
              85GS1150E 83GS1100SD 83GS1100ES 82GS1000SZ 96GSXR1500DRAGBIKE 96GSXR1400DRAGBIKE 90GSXR1166DRAGBIKE 05SDG110PITBIKE & 8 QUADS!!! "Life is tough! It's even tougher when you're stupid!" John Wayne

Comment

There is no color code for roller bearings!!! And AGAIN, does Suzuki make there own bearings? If you answer yes then I you obviously don't know what you are talking about. Everything is farmed out. I did receive my information from two different motorcycle mechanics. Both have been doing it over 25 years, Ray he was also a drag bike builder. He was the one that pointed out the direction for my 1100 so if he tells me that Suzuki roller bearings are the same as you get at the bearing shop I believe him especially when laid side by side they are made by the same company with the same number.

Arsenic had you read my post the second time I said I thought he was talking about the shaft bearings, yes I read it wrong but I also recanted after I re-read it. I think you replied befre I got it re-edited. NO ball bearings have color codes unless you want to paint them with your finger nail polish.

Originally posted by suzukiray View Post
                Kevin, sometimes it's less embarrassing to do a little research before you have to open your mouth again to change feet. Ray.

Change feet wth? I am standing my ground TELLING you Suzuki does not make there own roller bearing. Damn professional like yourself should KNOW that ray or do you buy everything OEM?
                Last edited by kevin2502000; 06-15-2009, 01:45 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

Kevin,

Roller bearings to which you are referring to, are not crank bearings. Roller bearings are in the head of the steering, In the rims of your bike, they are also in the rotors of your car. .......... However

Those bearings are usually over 1/2" thick and up.

Plain bearings, Engine bearings, sleeves and journal bearings are mainly less then 1/8 of an inch thick, And at that, thats a big clearance.

Your not talking the same bearings we are.

Time to get the bearings straight.

"Roller bearings", tho there are definitions on this term generally are just that, they have an exterior surface, a mid bearing "roller" that accepts all the force and applies all the pressure and an interior surface. Both Interior and exterior surfaces only serve to support the actual mid bearing or "roller" to keep it in place.

In general, on crank journals and cams, the bearing is only a half of a circle. Two halves are a full set for that bearing. Clearances are in the hundreds of thousands, Something thats not a factor on roller bearing clearances. on something thats less then an 1/8 thick. Engine bearings, or plain bearings are also made of just one peice.. No load rollers, they are just a simple peice of metal.. One peice.. no other part to them.

Different creatures.
                  Last edited by Newbie2it; 06-15-2009, 01:48 AM.
                  If its not broke, Hit it with a bigger hammer and blame it on cheap imports

RIP Dad 3/15/08 Love and miss ya already

Originally posted by Nero
                  Even I played for a minute or so, then I recovered what little manhood I had left and stopped.

Comment

These are the bearings I am talking about. I call them roller ball bearings, might be the wrong name. These are what are used on the shafts and on some crank/rod bearings such as the GS1100 motors and most dirt bikes. What my point is, these exact same bearings can be bought at Standard bearing etc. I know because I have done it and they worked for years on my dirtbike, a 2-stroke no less. If they were any less worthy on a 2 stroke you would see it shortly. Yes I agree we are talking about different bearing because I THOUGHT he was wanting to replace the tranny bearing. I read it wrong and that was why I was confused as to why someone thinks there is a color code to these bearing when it is a part # only. Also no one mentioned about checking the clearances on the crank/rod bearings, (2-piece) with plasti-gage to double check clearances.

Last edited by kevin2502000; 06-15-2009, 02:04 AM.

Comment

Kevin,

Seriously, Thats a roller bearing.
                      Look at your own picture here now. See how you see three different things? Yes son, That is a ROLLER BEARING.... *ahem*

a plain engine bearing, To which this entire thread was based on is less then half the diameter of just the inner sleeve of the simple example your showing above.

You are not refering to the same thing and you might want to stop trying to downplay those of us that really know what we are refering to like Chris and Ray.

Kevin...

Just some reading.

Its a little insightful to what is being refered to here. Has a few pictures of the bearings we are refering to.
                      Last edited by Newbie2it; 06-15-2009, 02:26 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Even I played for a minute or so, then I recovered what little manhood I had left and stopped.

Comment

Originally posted by Newbie2it View Post
                        Kevin,

Seriously, Thats a roller bearing.
                        Look at your own picture here now. See how you see three different things? Yes son, That is a ROLLER BEARING.... *ahem*

a plain engine bearing, To which this entire thread was based on is less then half the diameter of just the inner sleeve of the simple example your showing above.

You are not refering to the same thing and you might want to stop trying to downplay those of us that really know what we are refering to like Chris and Ray.

Ball bearings

"Ball bearings, as shown to the left, are the most common type by far. They are found in everything from skate boards to washing machines to PC hard drives. These bearings are capable of taking both radial and thrust loads, and are usually found in applications where the load is light to medium and is constant in nature (ie not shock loading). The bearing shown here has the outer ring cut away revealing the balls and ball retainer."

Roller bearings

"Roller bearings like the one shown to the left are normally used in heavy duty applications such as conveyer belt rollers, where they must hold heavy radial loads. In these bearings the roller is a cylinder, so the contact between the inner and outer race is not a point (like the ball bearing above) but a line. This spreads the load out over a larger area, allowing the roller bearing to handle much greater loads than a ball bearing. However, this type of bearing cannot handle thrust loads to any significant degree. A variation of this bearing design is called the needle bearing. The needle roller bearing uses cylindrical rollers like those above but with a very small diameter. This allows the bearing to fit into tight places such as gear boxes that rotate at higher speeds"

I know that is a ball bearing and I also know that ball bearings are not used in Hemi's bikes' crank/rod. Are you trying to tell me that these bearing aren't used in some applications as crank and rod bearings? And seriously if you are an expert on bearings, ( I am not an expert nor said I was) why did you just call a ball bearing a roller bearing? roller and ball are similar but different.

Point AGAIN, you can buy the exact same OEM roller or ball bearing at a bearing store.
                        Last edited by kevin2502000; 06-15-2009, 02:42 AM.

Comment

Good Greif Charlie Brown... Thats a roller Bearing also!!!!

Look at the link... Look at the pictures... Notice its one peice... not three peices... Then comment.

Your minds stuck on rollers.. Engine bearings DO NOT HAVE ROLLERS!!!

Comment

Please define engine bearing for me please. I truly like this debate.

GS1100 crank with ball bearing mains, roller bearing rod. This came out of an engine. There is no 2 piece bearings in this engine. I know this isn't the katana crank but wouldn't any bearing that came out of an engine be an "engine bearing"? Be specific, ie; crank, rod, transmission shaft. potato potato doesn't really apply here.
                            Last edited by kevin2502000; 06-15-2009, 03:14 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by kevin2502000 View Post
                              Please define engine bearing for me please. I truly like this debate.
                              Theres no debate, your talking from somewhere you dont know.

Ray tried telling you this, this isnt a discussion thread nor a debate thread. If you need to know more.... Read the link I supplied above. Short of that, Lets take this to the "Lounge" so your not giving more bad info on the wrong item.

Comment

Working...
                              X