X

Won't stay running

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Won't stay running

alright KR i thought we had it a fixed the last time but i was wrong. for those of you who dont know i couldnt get the bike to even fire. so i fixed the timing and it ran and would run and idle while hangin in my garage. well after letting it sit for a week without starting it i cant get the bike to stay running. if i spray ether in the air cleaner and put it on full choke the bike starts right up and then will run for a bit and slowly die unless i spray more ether in the air cleaner. i cleand the spark plugs off and it does the same thing. it is getting air/fuel and has spark. i have changed nuttin on the bike since it ran fine. any ideas?

If you are running on starting fluid, then you have none other than a fuel issue. Take it easy on the fluid.

Comment

Originally posted by Kfreak View Post
      If you are running on starting fluid, then you have none other than a fuel issue. Take it easy on the fluid.

Clean the idle jets ~

All you want to know is right here ~

Comment

Your bike is 14 years old. I am a firm believer in replacing every possible seal in the carb's. I just did it and it made a world of difference. I did cheat on some of the "o" rings. I used some from the Harbor Freight Nitrile Metric seal kit. If you do use this kit, always use a seal the next size smaller than the original and strech it over the part. The seals I suggest you do not cheat on are the seals for the air/fuel screws. Also replaced all of the clamps on the air box, "intake side and air box side". They were the most expensive parts. I did replace my springs for the slides since I had one streched longer than all of the rest.
        Last edited by Kfreak; 06-14-2009, 02:55 PM.

Comment

hmm well for whatever reason it would start and stay runnin for a while and now i ahve a horrible ticking that was not there a few weeks ago...i hope its not lifter tick but i fear that it is...i will post a vid soon

Comment

nevermind i cant post a vid...it wont start again damn this thing is ****in me off

Comment

Might be overly obvious, but...

Have you checked to make sure the petcock and vacuum lines are working correctly, no leaking, and fuel is flowing correctly since the cleaning?

Krey
              93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Originally posted by Kreylyn View Post
                Might be overly obvious, but...

Have you checked to make sure the petcock and vacuum lines are working correctly, no leaking, and fuel is flowing correctly since the cleaning?

Krey
                I am workin on checkin at all at the moment...kinds hope i find sumtin that I/Me/Myself screwed up just so it runs properly again lol

Comment

well i found that one of the fuel inlet t's into the carbs was kinked. after fixing the t and reassembling the bike it started and ran on the first try. after a while the bike slowly died and i have been havin difficulty gettin it to stay running again. every once in a while the bike will turn over and run for a bit and then shut off. this is what i have all done/checked/noticed.

1) number 3 cylinder doesnt seem to be firing. the exhaust pipe is not getting hot. The cylinder has spark and fuel is gettin into the carb

2) fuel is getting into all the carbs and each cylinder has spark

3) the bike no longer fires on starting fluid. it seems to make no difference whether i spray starting fluid in it or not. this leads me to believe that air is not getting into the carbs

4) one of the rubber stoppers that covers the pilot jet is missing from a carb. is this goin to cause problems for me?

I am gettin frustrated. everytime i seem to repair a problem the bike still wont run. any ideas?
                  Last edited by Jerkeife; 06-20-2009, 09:45 PM.

Comment

bump^ im also goin to check the timing again. seems to be gettin fuel and air. now all i can think of is spark. any known ignition issues with a 95 kat 600 that anyone could point me to?

Comment

Originally posted by kweef View Post
                      4) one of the rubber stoppers that covers the pilot jet is missing from a carb. is this goin to cause problems for me?
                      Yes that can be a big problem, maybe you can find something that is a solid piece of rubber and make one yourself. Is the stopper missing from the carb feeding #3 cylinder that was acting up?
                      John,
                      '05 GSXR750, '86 FZX700 Fazer, wifes bike '02 R6
                      sigpic

Comment

no it wasnt the cylinder that wasnt firing. its from the number 4 cylinder

Comment

Working...
                        X