X

Fire breathing kat

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fire breathing kat

So I was riding out towards the local lake here in town and had my buddy following me in his accord. He said when I hammered it and shifted through the bike blew what was close to 18inches of flame out the exhaust. Not sure what that means.

I have been noticing mini backfires on downshifting or if I'm at a high rpm and just let off of the throttle and idle back down.

Also when the motor is cold the exhaust has a bad bogging/drone to it in the lower rpms and then I have to gun the motor to 7000rpms and it goes back to it's tingy happy rev. I also have to put the gas on to the right position for a min.

any ideas.

Take photos at night?

Comment

Originally posted by smokeshow81 View Post
      I also have to put the gas on to the right position for a min.
      yes, absolutely. one must keep the gas in the right position. rolling up onto one cheek is best

btw, out the exhaust is "afterfire". one might try not dumping unburnt gas into the exhaust. 7grand on the tach while the motor is cold works wonders too
      Last edited by DumbLuck; 06-13-2009, 11:54 PM.
      99% of the questions asked here can be answered by a 2 minute search in the service manual. Get a service manual, USE IT.
      1990 Suzuki GSX750F Katana
      '53 Ford F250 pickumuptruck
      Lookin for a new Enduro project

Comment

Mine did that . Wish I coulda seen it myself , but kinda hard when you're riding . Turns out I was running WAY rich ......
        I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

sound like you running lean, escpecially if its popping an blowing flame when you let of the gas. usually the pilot

Comment

sounds awesome. fire gets the ladies right?

Comment

Too rich, clean carbs and set a/f screws to 2.5.
              Must read for carb tuners......http://www.factorypro.com/tech/tech_...m_engines.html

Comment

Ok so whats the diagnosis here. I have less then a month riding experience so I'm not exactly sure whats happening.

I think I'm going to get a video of it warming up this morning and then you guys will see what I mean.

How do I adjust the carbs to 2.5? is there a thread on here that can teach me.
                I dont need to get any girls... I'm 28 with a 19yr old woman and 2 kids.

Comment

If the bike surges or hunts, the pilot jet is probably too small (lean). Other indications that the pilot circuit is lean are popping or spitting through the carburetor when the throttle is opened and popping or backfiring through the exhaust when the throttle is shut. If the pilot circuit is rich, the engine will have a rough idle or may not return to idle without "blipping" the throttle. You may also notice a distinct smell of raw fuel and some eye irritation from the exhaust.

Comment

As long as it is a stock set up, clean the carbs, set your a/f screws to 2.5 and you are golden. You can look at your jet sizes to see if you have stock set up or not. Yes carbs 101 has a descriptive in depth instructions. I'm still saying it's rich, for that amount of flame to show it has to have a over abundance of fuel that isn't being burned during the ignition stroke. Think about the old cars where you turned off the ignition while driving down the road and then turned it back on. What happens, BANG with flame. CLean the carbs and checks the plugs, (probably sooty looking) and get new ones.
                    Last edited by kevin2502000; 06-14-2009, 12:13 PM.
                    Must read for carb tuners......http://www.factorypro.com/tech/tech_...m_engines.html

Comment

yeah you should take all 4 spark plugs out and look at there condition. If is black wet sooty its running rich to much fuel, If its white or light looking its running lean. The plugs should be a light brown color. Oh and what is your setup again, air filter - exhaust combo?

Comment

K&N cone filter in the stock airbox... some kinda yoshimura exhaust. Found out that one of the spark plug boots was loose or not connected to #3 plug. Bike seems to ride nice now but still is popping on the downshift.

Having trouble going from 1st to 2nd... she usually gets hung up in neutral if I'm given'r. All other gears have no issues. Any aftermarket gearboxes out there?

Comment

Originally posted by smokeshow81 View Post
                          K&N cone filter in the stock airbox... some kinda yoshimura exhaust. Found out that one of the spark plug boots was loose or not connected to #3 plug. Bike seems to ride nice now but still is popping on the downshift.

Having trouble going from 1st to 2nd... she usually gets hung up in neutral if I'm given'r. All other gears have no issues. Any aftermarket gearboxes out there?
                          Pretty common in the Kat with the 1st to 2nd thing. Mine does the same...has 21K on it. I think Second gear may be getting tired. I take it easy on the 1st to second transition...short shift.

Comment

That's awesome. Do NOT fix that. That's on a BatMobile level.

Comment

personally i think it'd be pretty awesome if i was shooting flames out of my exhaust. i think i might have once. was riding home at night when i heard a loud pop behind me and everything got bright for a moment. idk what in the world it was, but something flashed behind me. it scared the crap out of me and i really wish i knew what it was...
                              2004 Katana
                              GO OWLS!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X