No announcement yet.
X

Fire breathing kat

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

yeah blowing flames out the muffler is caused by a lean condition' burning to hot' too much air not enough fuel. Its easy hold your throttle wide open while riding then close the throttle completly, if its starts popping and backfiring your pilot is to lean. Believe me I use to work with a guy who would go crazy on jetting. He always wanted the leanest setup in his snowmobiles for the quickest throttle response. I watched him many times burn holes in pistons from to lean of a air/fuel mixture. And guess who got to do his dirty work of changing the pistons he melted -me. I still have nightmares of him experementing with is mad science jetting configs. Think of it this way. When using a oxyacetylene torch the gas is hot but when u combine oxygen it gets twice as hot able to melt throught steel with ease.
    Last edited by waffenampt; 06-16-2009, 09:47 AM.

Comment

thats a good analogy... how did you know I used to cut metal?
      so some serious carb work then. you guys figure I could adjust this stuff myself?

Comment

So it's either too rich or too lean .......
        Yes , you can adjust things yourself if you have the time , a lil know-how , and the tools . However , you need to know WHAT to adjust and which way , first ..... How them plugs look ?
        I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

When I firat bought mine from my brother it blew alittle bit of flames and popped when downshifting. Had to get the carbs re-syncd.. Plus it was running a tad rich. I replaced the plugs anyways just because. They were new but I ran them for about 3 weeks while it was running rich. Why Cheap out if its only a few bucks... Right??
          If you think routine maintenance is expensive,... Try Ignorance!

Comment

Just replaced the plugs. (old ones posted in my garage)
            She fired up without issue but I'm guessing the carbs still need to be adjusted. Gunna go for a rip and see what happens.

Where's the instructions if I just want to set my A/F?

Comment

It's too rich, not too lean. It's igniting the "too much" fuel. Take the K&N fitler out and put a stocker in. I bet it doesn't shoot flames anymore.
              90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
              I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
              Originally posted by soulless kaos
              but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

&%#@^% *#$#@& Friggin K&Ns!
                Joker
                The newest addition to the Family!
                sigpic
                stop by the garage for a better look!

Comment

lol you people amaze me when everyone on this site says it running to rich. It running to lean= to much air not enough fuel. Look at his plugs they tell the whole story.

Comment

Well isn't the answer for either equation of lean/rich being reset the carbs and then go from there.

Also just curious would running 92/94 octane make a difference? It's all I've been putting in her since day one. Now I read that 87 was the reccommended type.

Comment

Originally posted by JokerZwild View Post
                      &%#@^% *#$#@& Friggin K&Ns!
                      Arsenic buys them, they must be good!

+1 on trying a stock filter to see how it runs...

Comment

Originally posted by smokeshow81 View Post
                        Well isn't the answer for either equation of lean/rich being reset the carbs and then go from there.

Also just curious would running 92/94 octane make a difference? It's all I've been putting in her since day one. Now I read that 87 was the reccommended type.
                        92/94 does nothing special for the bike. there's many posts explaining why, but the simple answer is they have higher octane ratings to resist knocking, and are designed for high compression engines. kat's have low compression engines.
                        2004 Katana
                        GO OWLS!!!

Comment

Originally posted by waffenampt View Post
                          lol you people amaze me when everyone on this site says it running to rich. It running to lean= to much air not enough fuel. Look at his plugs they tell the whole story.
                          No , not really .For one , you can't see way up inside them for a proper read . For another , they seem to show signs of an additive in action . Also , I see some soot , which TYPICALLY points to a rich condition somewhere in the range . Seein as how it's not quite on the tip , it ain't the pilot circuit .
                          Also , afterfires CAN come from a rich condition . I have experienced this . At the rally as a matter of fact ,so I hace witnesses on here (I think Cyber and/or one of his friends was behind me at the time) . Too much fuel blows through the cylinder , so that it ignites in the header instead of the cylinder . Ok , now then ......
                          Duder , you need to figger out what needs sdjusting before you can adjust stuff . This may require the enlistment of help , and not just the interweb kind . If you ain't real sure what you're doing , you're more apt to make things worse .
                          I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

yeah... if there are flames shooting out of the exhaust that sounds more like it's too rich as there is unburnt fuel left after combustion and is instead igniting on it's way out through the exhaust.
                            2004 Katana
                            GO OWLS!!!

Comment

Ok you said you have a after market yoshamira exhaust. You should go to there website"phone number" and see if they make any recomandations on jetting for that specific bike. Most bikes that you put a aftermarket exhaust on with have to be jetted richer. Your spark plugs are discolored whitish and that means its burning lean. And also that is why its bogging on the cold starts as a cold engine needs more fuel. You could start by adding bigger pilot jets and probly also the main jets. Going up a couple numbers on each jet until it starts running smoothly. It is pretty simple needing to take the float boals off each carb. Or you can just buy a jet kit which has instructions in it. '' also you should try and run your bike with the gas tank cap not shut just to make sure you dont have a vacuum issue not letting enough fuel down to your carbs.

Comment

Soo glad to know this site... went to order a new filter and the guy suggested that I use pod filters on it. Pretty sure I read somewhere on here that the airbox is a much needed part due to vacuum requirements of the top end.

So anyways I've got some new things on order... all the pieces that connect the airbox to the carbs. $35x4, aftermarket air filter, like fram or something. Then there's the new tread, rear disc and pads, front pads, headlight setup (she's going naked), and of course the carb cleaning and bench test as the mechanic called it. Guessing thats what he calls a sync.

Comment

Working...
                                X