X

Engine Swap

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine Swap

I have a 93 katana 600 and my second gear is out. I went to some shops looking for parts to repair it but one of the shops told me its better to just buy another engine. He said he has a 99 suzuki bandit 600 engine that could fit right in my bike with no problems. Please advise if this is true and if I will have no problems?

A search would have answered your question.

A forum filled with write-ups, FAQ's, and visual aids for
    mechanical & cosmetic modifications to your Katana.
    How To Install Race Tech Emulators & Rebuild Forks
    How To Repack Yoshimura RS3 Exhaust
    How To Install Oil Cooler Fans
    How To Install Audiovox Cruise Control On A 1998+ Katana

Comment

I dunno how much used engines cost for these days but it would probly be 200-400 bucks to fix the gears, shift forks, and shift drum on that motor. Hasnt suzuki made different stronger gears for these motors? I tohugh they did but maybe im mistaken, as im seeing a few different part numbers on microfiche

Comment

yeah right dude, try 20 hours labor at $75 an hour (that's $1500) + parts Maybe $200-$400 in parts His is over 10 years old so it would be $85 an hour (that's $1700)
        Last edited by arsenic; 06-13-2009, 07:08 PM.

Comment

I know labor is where it picks your pockets. jeesh if everybody just replaces a engine with a bad second gear there would be alot of good engines with a popped second gear. I say repair it yourself but most of the people out there wont take a case splittin fun time.

Comment

everyone DOES reaplace the engine when second gear goes. I sell parts dude, Katana transmissions, GOOD transmissions don't sell worth a crap. GSXR trans on the other hand, those sell really well

Comment

I have 2 GOOD transmissions from GSXR 750s for sale for 175 each + shipping. Ray.
              85GS1150E 83GS1100SD 83GS1100ES 82GS1000SZ 96GSXR1500DRAGBIKE 96GSXR1400DRAGBIKE 90GSXR1166DRAGBIKE 05SDG110PITBIKE & 8 QUADS!!! "Life is tough! It's even tougher when you're stupid!" John Wayne

Comment

Im just saying order up the gears , forks, and drum if its out of spec or broke/bent. im not saying replace the whole tranny

Comment

judging by that comment, you haven't done this too many times eh?

Comment

yeah ive replaced and fixed trannys before with new gears and shift forks. Thats why suzuki still has gears and parts in there warehouses to rebuild them

Comment

dude, you make it sound like splitting the cases is a fun weekend thing to do. You think this member has 90 degree snap ring pliers? When has a shift drum EVER been bent/broken or out of spec? BTW Suzuki DID change the gears. The 98+ trans has a second with more engagement dogs and a different 6th. Now stop being a 2lbox.

Comment

Which shop and how much did he want for the bandit 600?

I've been looking to replace my engine...

Originally posted by flo239 View Post
                        I have a 93 katana 600 and my second gear is out. I went to some shops looking for parts to repair it but one of the shops told me its better to just buy another engine. He said he has a 99 suzuki bandit 600 engine that could fit right in my bike with no problems. Please advise if this is true and if I will have no problems?
                        misery loves company...

Comment

Working...
                        X