Kickstand in neutral and won't idle

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kickstand in neutral and won't idle

Hi,

I just replaced my Neutral switch tonight, after 2 years owning the bike I can idle the bike on the side stand...

but after putting the bike back together, filling with oil, starting with clutch in sidestand down (I have the center stand down so the back wheel is up) and in neutral. As soon as I release the clutch the bike dies. I did notice that the back wheel spins in neutral?

Any suggestions?

DJ

If the bike won't run in neutral with the clutch out, than it's a problem with the neutral switch.
    Try this. While on center stand, pull the side stand up. If it runs with clutch out, try and pull side stand down, if it than dies than the problem is most definitely around the neutral switch (could be wiring if the switch is OK).

It's normal for the wheel to spin when in neutral when in air. As long as it stands still when on ground.

Comment

clutch safety switch
      90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
      I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
      Originally posted by soulless kaos
      but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

Originally posted by Great ATuin View Post
        If the bike won't run in neutral with the clutch out, than it's a problem with the neutral switch.
        Try this. While on center stand, pull the side stand up. If it runs with clutch out, try and pull side stand down, if it than dies than the problem is most definitely around the neutral switch (could be wiring if the switch is OK).

It's normal for the wheel to spin when in neutral when in air. As long as it stands still when on ground.

Krey
        93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Thanks for the replies,

I just bought a new neutral switch? could it already be bad? The light is on now when in neutral as opposed to before. Yes the bike run with the stand up and in neutral and the clutch released.

Scotty, where is the clutch safety switch? I'll have a look at that to see if there is any apparent wear.

???

Comment

Hmm, forgot about the clutch safety completely... mine doesn't have that... I think.

Clutch safety switch is located on the clutch lever bracket (you'll probably see wires coming out of it).

Comment

never run your bike on the centerstand... dangerous sh*t man.

Comment

side stand/neutral switch diode or side stand switch. the clutch safety switch is ONLY in the startier selinoid circuit, not the ignition. you may have botched the wiring job
                99% of the questions asked here can be answered by a 2 minute search in the service manual. Get a service manual, USE IT.
                1990 Suzuki GSX750F Katana
                '53 Ford F250 pickumuptruck
                Lookin for a new Enduro project

Comment

Working...
                X