X

Rebuild/Rekey gas cap?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rebuild/Rekey gas cap?

My gas cap sticks.... bad, like bad enough that sometimes it wont open, or makes me think the key wants to break. The key tuns, it just wont pop up. Ive taken it apart, cleaned and lubed. Still sticks, Im thinking the springs are worn. I thought I'd buy a used one but I dont want to carry around two keys. Anyone ever rebuild one so they work better? Maybe new springs? And.... If I do get a different locking cap can I have it rekeyed to match my ignition key?
    Originally posted by arsenic
    93 octane fuel and K&N pod filters rock.

uuummm....why don't you just carry two keys?

Comment

I swapped out the key tumblers and it wasn't hard.
      Must read for carb tuners......http://www.factorypro.com/tech/tech_...m_engines.html

Comment

Originally posted by arsenic View Post
        uuummm....why don't you just carry two keys?
        Why carry two, when you only need one?
        Originally posted by arsenic
        93 octane fuel and K&N pod filters rock.

Comment

cause if you get a new gas cap you won't only need one. Unless you get a Vortex key less gas cap, but that would actually make sense now wouldn't it.

Comment

Originally posted by arsenic View Post
            Unless you get a Vortex key less gas cap, but that would actually make sense now wouldn't it.
            Thats the option I would take.
            90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
            I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
            Originally posted by soulless kaos
            but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

Except for the fact that any ******* can take your cap off ......
              I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

re keying it is easy. was a locksmith for a while, just pull the wafers out of the old one one by one and put them in the same slot in the new one that it cam out of the old one. put key in before you put the lock back together and check to see if they line up with the outside. they all need to be flush with the outside of the cylinder.
                Life is what happens, when you are waiting for something better to come along.

Comment

Originally posted by md86 View Post
                  Except for the fact that any ******* can take your cap off ......
                  Of all the things to be worried about on a bike, I think the gas cap is at the bottom of the list.
                  90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
                  I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
                  Originally posted by soulless kaos
                  but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

clean all the corrosion off of the old lock and soak in 5w 30 u shouldnt have any problems

Comment

Try pushing down on the cap with your thumb while you turn the key so there's less pressure on the latches.
                      Chris

Originally posted by jetmerritt
                      Save up for great gear and dress for the fall before you ride. If you can't afford good quality gear, don't ride. It's like saying you can't afford seat belts for your car. There are just no laws to make gear mandatory.

Comment

This website is for sale! carbkitscapital.com is your first and best source for all of the information you’re looking for. From general topics to more of what you would expect to find here, carbkitscapital.com has it all. We hope you find what you are searching for!

Gas cap for $53 new...

If you can't disasseble and clean it up so that it works, I would swap out the tumbler into a new one so the keys match, it's pretty simple.

Then sell the old one.

krey
                        93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Originally posted by Trackerrrr View Post
                          Try pushing down on the cap with your thumb while you turn the key so there's less pressure on the latches.
                          +1 I always take the pressure off the latches,on every bike i've ever owned.
                          WOW! your bikes really fast! you were flying when i passed you!

xbox live= katana11
                          We Will Always remember!
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Katana1100 View Post
                            +1 I always take the pressure off the latches,on every bike i've ever owned.
                            I have to on my Kat or the latches won't disengage.

Originally posted by Kreylyn View Post
                            http://www.carbkitscapital.com/carb_...i&model=GSX600

Gas cap for $53 new...

If you can't disasseble and clean it up so that it works, I would swap out the tumbler into a new one so the keys match, it's pretty simple.

Then sell the old one.

krey
                            Thanks for that quote Krey, didn't know those were out there.
                            Last edited by Trackerrrr; 06-13-2009, 07:50 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
                            Chris

Originally posted by jetmerritt
                            Save up for great gear and dress for the fall before you ride. If you can't afford good quality gear, don't ride. It's like saying you can't afford seat belts for your car. There are just no laws to make gear mandatory.

Comment

Originally posted by scottynoface View Post
                              Of all the things to be worried about on a bike, I think the gas cap is at the bottom of the list.
                              I disagree . A handful of sand in the tank will ruin your day ..... As will someone who siphons your gas , or thinks peeing in your tank might be funny , or .....
                              I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Working...
                              X