de-restricting '91 kat

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• de-restricting '91 kat

Hey guys, my first post... weeeee

I know this is Katana forum, but this is as close as it gets to my bike, '91 GSX600F Slingshot. I don't really know the difference, looks the same.
    Bought it a year ago. Imported from Swiss or Austria and it is restricted to about 50hp (36.8kW to be exact). How to de-restrict it? Will new jets do the trick or is there something else.
    I'm not really after more power, just wanna let it "breathe" the way it was made to.

Oh, and one more thing. I'm a bit fluffy guy , so is there something I can or should do to adjust rear suspension for that extra weight?

Thx.

Originally posted by Great ATuin View Post
    Hey guys, my first post... weeeee

I know this is Katana forum, but this is as close as it gets to my bike, '91 GSX600F Slingshot. I don't really know the difference, looks the same.
    Bought it a year ago. Imported from Swiss or Austria and it is restricted to about 50hp (36.8kW to be exact). How to de-restrict it? Will new jets do the trick or is there something else.
    I'm not really after more power, just wanna let it "breathe" the way it was made to.

Oh, and one more thing. I'm a bit fluffy guy , so is there something I can or should do to adjust rear suspension for that extra weight?

Thx.
    What you have is a Kat... Not sure what you mean by restricted.

Krey
    93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Wow that was fast
      Some EU countries have power tuned down (dunno why) on many vehicles. My bike is supposed to have 86 hp by factory specs, but it has only 50 hp because of the restrictions.
      So I'm thinking, as long as it has to haul my fluffy *** around, why not give it the power that it was intended to have.

Comment

Hi
        In some countries such as Spain, you need to drive small bikes for a while after getting your license. If you want to drive a large displacement one you need to get it "tamed" to some 50 Hp.
        On fuel injected engines they use some kind of "electroinic box" connected to te ECU.
        I don't know how they do it on carbureted ones. Maybe some restriction on the carburetors/ fuel system? On the ignition system?
        Does your bike rev all the way to the red line?
        You should chek the fuel, ignition and exhaust systems with a service manual to find out what has been modified on your bike.

Good Luck

Comment

Tried to look into this for ya, but almost every page I came across that was supposed to have info about it, was infected with the a virus...

Krey
          93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Ok, I'll take a shot at this. From what I've read (both online and in a few Haynes mechanics books) the bikes are restricted by choking off the jetting. If this is true, then simply stepping up to the correct jets SHOULD set you back to full power.

Now, I don't know what else is bumped down, but on a carburated bike I'm betting its just jetting and somehow the air filter. Maybe the exhaust too.
            90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
            I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
            Originally posted by soulless kaos
            but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

I found this on derestricting the Aprilia Falco....there may be some similar airbox restriction on the Kat, giving credence to what Scotty just said.
              Latest news coverage, email, free stock quotes, live scores and video are just the beginning. Discover more every day at Yahoo!
              Last edited by Londob5; 06-18-2009, 08:02 PM.
              -
              -

I poured spot remover on my dog. Now he's gone.

Comment

I don't think they put slingshot motors in the 600's, but I've been wrong before.

I thought that refered to the 750 GSXR motor.
                -Steve

sigpic
                Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
                Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

Working...
                X