X

Switching back to the airbox today

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Switching back to the airbox today

When I bought my bike the PO had put K&N filters on the bike. Luckly he gave me the airbox when I purchased the bike. Today I plan on putting the airbox back on. Is it as simple as taking the K&Ns off and putting the airbox back on? Will I need aniy lubricants or anything to do this? I have a 01 750.

Thanks ahead of time.

Woodie
    Former Marine 3/97-3/01
    MOS 0161 Semper FI!
    sigpic

It shouldn't be a big deal. Are the breather and other hoses still in place or in your possession?

Comment

Installing the parts are pretty much that straight forward.

Getting the box on the carbs could be a challenge if they are already on the engine..

I found that taking the carbs off, putting the box on without the filter so I could put my hand inside, then once on the carbs, instal the filter, then all together put the carbs back on..... was the easiest way if the box didn't want to go on.

You probably may need to sync/tune the carbs afterwards...

Krey
      93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Originally posted by GregS View Post
        It shouldn't be a big deal. Are the breather and other hoses still in place or in your possession?
        All he gave was the airbox. So hopefully they are still in place.
        Former Marine 3/97-3/01
        MOS 0161 Semper FI!
        sigpic

Comment

By the way, how does it run? Did the PO rejet for the filters? Is so it will most likely be way out of wack with the stock box.

Comment

Originally posted by GregS View Post
            By the way, how does it run? Did the PO rejet for the filters? Is so it will most likely be way out of wack with the stock box.
            Yes it has been jetted. Should I wait and take it to the shop and have them do it if it is a possibility that my sync could be off? I had seen a thread on here about K&N's and how they can damage you motor and it made me want to change back to the airbox. I can't find that thread now . The throttle responsive is sluggish at times. It got better when I changed my plugs but it could be alot better.
            Last edited by Woodmysta; 06-12-2009, 08:25 AM.
            Former Marine 3/97-3/01
            MOS 0161 Semper FI!
            sigpic

Comment

I have a 89 katana750 and found its easiest to put the airbox on without the air filter in place. Line up the boots to the carbs as close as possible and push them together, then put your hand in the airbox and put your fingers in each carb boot and push the rubber all around the throat of each carb. Im thinking they are similar but myne is older put it should still work i would imagine.

Comment

How hard is it to sync the carbs?
                Former Marine 3/97-3/01
                MOS 0161 Semper FI!
                sigpic

Comment

I think I will wait until I can purchase a carbtune pro 4-column. Thanks everyone for the advise.
                  Former Marine 3/97-3/01
                  MOS 0161 Semper FI!
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Woodmysta View Post
                    I think I will wait until I can purchase a carbtune pro 4-column. Thanks everyone for the advise.

You can make a cheap carb sync for less than $10 that will work every bit as good as any sync tool, with simple easy to get parts.

Krey
                    93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Originally posted by Kreylyn View Post
                      You can make a cheap carb sync for less than $10 that will work every bit as good as any sync tool, with simple easy to get parts.

Krey
                      How would I go about that?
                      Former Marine 3/97-3/01
                      MOS 0161 Semper FI!
                      sigpic

Comment

Can't get it to run right? Find a trick to add HP?
                        From the first oil change to completely rebuilding the engine,
                        this is the place to talk about the heart of the beast!

Krey
                        93 750 Kat

Comment

Man that is slick!
                          Former Marine 3/97-3/01
                          MOS 0161 Semper FI!
                          sigpic

Comment

Working...
                          X