X

I need the DL on these K&N filters

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I need the DL on these K&N filters

I wanted to install an aftermarket air filter. Whats the best? I only come across these K&Ns. I bought one from DennisKirk.com. But I am thinking about returning. I only hear bad things now that I purchased it . Why are they so bad for the Katana???
    2006 Katana 600
    Bought it 4/09 with 3 miles on it
    Dark Smoke Zero Gravity WS
    CompWerkes Fender Elim.
    RS-3 slip-on
    DynoJet Stage 1 JK

yep, get your money back asap.
    sigpicLife is 5% what happens to you, and 95% how you react to it
    k9 GSX-R 600
    GO VOLS!

Comment

Originally posted by gobigorange189 View Post
      yep, get your money back asap.
      Oh I will ASAP! Are they just not reliable or something? Any other brands to look for?
      2006 Katana 600
      CompWerkes Fender Elim.
      RS-3 slip-on
      DynoJet Stage 1 JK

Comment

keep the stock air filter in there... there will be MANY people on here that will tell you its the best...the K&N's are pretty much impossible to get tuned correctly. when i first got my kat, i didnt believe all the K&N bad talk, so i got one anyways...and yeah i quickly took it out and agreed that stock was much better..
        sigpicLife is 5% what happens to you, and 95% how you react to it
        k9 GSX-R 600
        GO VOLS!

Comment

Alright, thank you for the heads up. I will make note of that.
          2006 Katana 600
          CompWerkes Fender Elim.
          RS-3 slip-on
          DynoJet Stage 1 JK

Comment

I think the "why" is because they let too much air into the airbox which messes up with the airflow in the Kats CV carbs.
            -2000 "750"

Comment

Originally posted by Cheriff View Post
              I think the "why" is because they let too much air into the airbox which messes up with the airflow in the Kats CV carbs.
              something like that. A K&N, UNI, pretty much any after market air filter is what's known as a "hi-flow" air filter. The Katana has CV or constant velocity carbs. They rely heavily on vacuum pressure. With a "hi-flow" air filter it is flowing more air in, thus vacuum pressure is not the same. Due to the Katana's mild cam lobe height and over lay, the Katana does not require a "hi-flow" air filter. The collector portion of the exhaust header can not even fully collect all the air from the oem filter. So why would you want to add more air. In order to jet the CV carbs for a h-flow filter, you would need to allow WAY more fuel to match the WAY more air. You'd be running super rich. You would still have flat spots in the RPM range due to not having the correct vacuum pressure. That's it in a nut shell.

Comment

Awesome response! Thank you!
                2006 Katana 600
                CompWerkes Fender Elim.
                RS-3 slip-on
                DynoJet Stage 1 JK

Comment

I do that sometimes most of the time I'll just call you a ****tard

Comment

Originally posted by arsenic View Post
                    I do that sometimes most of the time I'll just call you a ****tard
                    musta got his new perscription of Paxil in!
                    Joker
                    The newest addition to the Family!
                    sigpic
                    stop by the garage for a better look!

Comment

I'm just starting to realize that this accident, that made me take a total 180. That most people would probably consider the unluckiest thing possible. Was really the luckiest thing that ever happened to me. I have way better credit now, I have a brighter future then I did before. I would have been perfectly happy in my crappy life, with a total ***** wife. Now I got possibly the best girl ever. I should have married her when we were together at the end of high school, but I guess I had to go through all of this to find out who I am.
                      Last edited by arsenic; 06-12-2009, 04:43 AM.

Comment

Maybe there should be some sort of STICKY about what not to do with your Katana and then attach some sort of link as to why not, such as the in explanation Arsenic put together for K&N air filters.

Comment

It wouldn't matter. No offense to OP at all, but this question would still be asked daily.
                          -2000 "750"

Comment

Good thing to know - this was going to be one of the first items I bought for my Kat.

Comment

Working...
                            X