X

Side-stand tweak on a 98+ 750

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Side-stand tweak on a 98+ 750

I've done a pretty thorough search for "side-stand" posts and can't see anything similar to my question. Here goes:

My bike is an '06 750 with 32,000 kms (just under 20,000 miles). I've just noticed that my side-stand has a bit more play in it than I thought it should: if I put it on the centre stand and lower the side-stand, I can move the side-stand in and out from the bike by about 1/2" (1cm) at the foot if I pull against the spring. There's no "slop" movement if I just try to wiggle it. The mounting bolt can't be tightened further and the bracket doesn't appear to be bent or worn.

I can't find specs anywhere--is this a normal amount of movement?

I've spoken to my mechanic about it and he suggested if I was concerned that I could put a washer or two around the side-stand bolt to shim it if I was especially concerned.

Any of you guys tried something like this?

Thanks in advance!
    High-velocity Geek

'06 GSX750F

ive never really looked at mine (post 600) but it wouldn't surprise me if there was a bit of play to it. i always pull back on the bike with the stand down a little before i get off just to make sure it's secure.

Comment

That's normal. If you watch, the foot should slide out a bit as you lean the bike on the stand.
      Pain is just weakness leaving the body.
      -Unknown Author

The quarrels of lovers are the renewal of love.
      -Terence

Comment

Originally posted by zcphoto View Post
        ive never really looked at mine (post 600) but it wouldn't surprise me if there was a bit of play to it. i always pull back on the bike with the stand down a little before i get off just to make sure it's secure.
        Thanks for the reply. Good idea about pulling back, too--I always put mine in 1st gear before putting the sidestand down just in case. Buggering thing rolled off the side-stand in neutral once last year about this time.

Cheeers,

Absyn-thesis

Originally posted by brooder View Post
        That's normal. If you watch, the foot should slide out a bit as you lean the bike on the stand.
        Thanks, Brooder. It just seemed to be sliding a little more than usual so I took a closer look. If this kind of "wiggle" is normal, then I'm a happy camper. The last thing I want is for the furshlugginer sidestand to fail and drop my bike.

Cheeers!

Absyn-thesis
        Last edited by Absyn-thesis; 06-11-2009, 07:06 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
        High-velocity Geek

'06 GSX750F

Comment

Originally posted by brooder View Post
          The worst design feature on any Suzuki. The hayabusa stand is just like that. I understand that they're heavy bikes and you want a bit more lean, but it makes it waaaay to easy for the stand to fold back while sliding it that extra little bit. Why they couldn't have just put a regular solid kickstand on it is beyond me.
          90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
          I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
          Originally posted by soulless kaos
          but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

You got my vote, Scotty. That little "slide" has given me a scare more than once, esp. on slightly tilted surfaces. Good to know that it's not just my bike, I guess.

Originally posted by scottynoface View Post
            The worst design feature on any Suzuki. The hayabusa stand is just like that. I understand that they're heavy bikes and you want a bit more lean, but it makes it waaaay to easy for the stand to fold back while sliding it that extra little bit. Why they couldn't have just put a regular solid kickstand on it is beyond me.
            High-velocity Geek

'06 GSX750F

Comment

take about 1-2mm off the side stand forward stop, and it gives the bike a bit more lean and stability... dont forget to repaint te stop to prevent rust.

See My Garage for mods...
              T-Rex Racing framesliders install and review thread
              Full Post 98 LED conversion how to thread

Comment

Originally posted by JayBell View Post
                take about 1-2mm off the side stand forward stop, and it gives the bike a bit more lean and stability... dont forget to repaint te stop to prevent rust.
                Great idea, Jaybell--thanks! I may give that a shot. Right now, the lean is pretty good so I'm not so worried about it staying vertical...it was more the "slip" into further lean that had me worried my stand was likely to fail. *shudder*.

Cheers!
                High-velocity Geek

'06 GSX750F

Comment

Working...
                X