F@#$^in' Carbs!!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• F@#$^in' Carbs!!

Here's the full scoop.

I rebuilt my carbs this winter. Everything looked good, but I didn't feel like I had the floats fully seated and I just dismissed it as "that's the way they're supposed to feel" kind of thing.

Well fast forward to yesterday. I put the tank on and do a sync. Everything looks peachy. The gas tank is pretty much so empty though. Today I plan on going for a little test ride. I make it down to the gas station, about 2 blocks, no problem. Fill 'er up and almost dump it pulling out. I attribute this to new tires. I go to take off from a stop sign and it just goes sideways instead of forward. hhhmmm... That's not so good. Look down and it's just hemoraging fuel onto the ground. Great... I push it the 1 block home and start to tear into it. Put the tank on prime and carbs 1 and 2 gush fuel out the vent. Not just a little, but a TON.

I don't think the guy that rebuilt my carbs knew what the hell he was doing.

So any bets on what I'll find when I pull it apart?

Sounds like the floats are just dumping gas.
    90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
    I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
    Originally posted by soulless kaos
    but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

My bet is just one float is hosed since both carbs share the vent. 3 and 4 are great.

Comment

Check your oil too, you might have gas in it if you're having float issues.
        Katriders.com, we've got dumb answers!

Comment

Originally posted by ATOMonkey View Post
          ...So any bets on what I'll find when I pull it apart?
          My money's on either bad float needles or crap on the needle seats, keeping them from sealing. Other possibilities are float height WAY off, floats not floating and needles not hooked to the floats right.

To check the needles, pull them off the floats and look at the black sealing surface (at the pointy end) under a good light. If there's a ring showing in the surface then they're worn out. Replace all 4 as a set. If you do have to replace them don't go to the dealer though! They want $65-$75 for a 'float needle valve assembly' that includes the float. As long as the floats still float you can get just the needles through any K+L parts dealer. I posted the exact part number for the pre-750 in the WIKI, under Carburetor Parts.
          Wherever you go... There you are!

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
          HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

Cool!! Thanks Bill!

Comment

I just had the same issue. Bike wouldnt start, just kept flooding. I racked my brain for a week with many trial and errors. I can hook up those carbs blindfolded now. Today I pulled the float needle seat fitting and slapped a new o-ring on it. Threw the carbs on the bike and first push of the start vroom. Idled rough for a few then cleaned up nice.

Dannyj
              1999 Katana 750 K&N filter, Yoshi slip-on, 2nd LED strobe brake light, white LED driving lights mounted on the front reflector bracket, amber LED strobes for PGR missions and funerals, American and PGR Flag mount. Because its the right thing to do!

Comment

OK, you've got a pre-750. Like me. You don't have any o-rings on the float needle seat. Just the needles (which are replaceable) and the seats are part of the carb bodies. (So don't get your hopes up about cheap o-rings.) I suppose it might be possible to freshen up the seats with a drill or something but from what I've seen the needles take all the wear and tear so that's not needed. Take a look at the needles and make sure your floats are still floating.

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
                HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

I think one of the floats just flat fell off. It's leaking way too much fuel way to fast for it to all be coming through the seat. We'll see though. I probably won't be able to get to it until Friday night at the earliest.

Comment

Buy something fuel injected? lol

Comment

Final verdict is in.

Some idiot (me again) forgot to tape off the petcock when I was sand blasting and got some crushed garnet in there, which found it's way promptly into carbs 1 and 2, causing the floats to stick open.

Runs like a charm now!

Comment

in the immortal words of homer simpson, "Doh!" at least it was an easy find/fix
                        WOW! your bikes really fast! you were flying when i passed you!

xbox live= katana11
                        We Will Always remember!
                        sigpic

Comment

Gotta love the no-parts fix!

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
                          HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

Originally posted by Wild-Bill View Post
                            Gotta love the no-parts fix!
                            That one is almost as good as the "no-work needed fix!"

Krey
                            93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Originally posted by Enjay386 View Post
                              Buy something fuel injected? lol

That's gonna be my fix to carbs.
                              sigpic

'95 Kat 600 (Sold)
                              '10 BMW S1000RR (aka Black Betty)(Totaled)
                              '11 BMW S1000RR (aka Bumblebee) Shine Yellow

In ur thinky box, steeelin ur dumz

If you love something, set it free. If it comes back to you, you probably high sided.

Comment

Working...
                              X