X

bike dies when put into gear

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bike dies when put into gear

please help me i bought a dropped 88 katana 600 ,it starts right up every time runs great just cant get it moving. i pull the clutch lever in shift into first and dies every time , bike jump maybe an inch before it dies,there is no clutch safety swith its been talking off and jumped , replaced the side stand switch thats not it ,it wont start in gear,nuetral only , i adjusted the clutch cable still nothing , it sat for 1 1/2 years before i got it , nuetral light works, in can push it in gear with the cluth lever pulled , then when i release it it comes to a stop so i think the cluth is engaging , even had a friend try to push start me when i let out cluch lever it grabbed i heard compressing but didnt start dont know what else to try . any nelp greatly appreciated thanks

Why don’t you eliminate the side stand switch altogether, then eliminate the clutch lever cut out switch.

Think that might do the job.

Tok

Comment

already did

cluch switch is eliminated and the side stand switch is new , do you have to eliminate them both for it to go into gear while running

Comment

id say your plates are sticking? but it could also be a siezed transmission gear? have you tried putting it in second gear?

Comment

dies when put in second gear also

dies when put in second gear also

Comment

i think the side stand thing is getting you? if the side stand switch is not working correctly it will die as soon as u hit any gear but it will let you start it in neutral. just elimnate it. i guess it could be your wiring to the switch as well if you just replaced the switch. check for continuety across the switch with the stand up and with it down just to make shure the switch is working.
            shiny side up, at least when I'm not doing a barrel roll

Comment

Like I said eliminate both switches!

Tok

Comment

do i just disconnect side swith to get rid of it

do i just disconnect side swith to get rid of it

Comment

So it runs in gear, but dies when you let the clutch out?
                  Not switches then, problem with transmission.
                  2000 Katana 600
                  2011 Triumph Sprint GT

Comment

it dies when i shift it into gear

with clutch lever pulled in when i try to shift into first or second it dies

Comment

it dies as soon as you hit a gear or it jumps and stalls ??
                      oh serry its jumping when u throw it in gear even when the clutch is in. it has nothing to do with the switches then. either your clutchs are sticking together or are in need of adjustment.

Comment

i know you eliminated it but it has to be the side stand switch. find out what the switch actually controls and rip it out .

Comment

Side stand switch, or you're just not letting it warm up long enough.
                          90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
                          I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
                          Originally posted by soulless kaos
                          but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

"Disclaimer, this could be dangerous". One could try to start it, clutch in, side stand up, and start. If the bike tries to move forward, it's tranny, if it won't even click, it's start sequence circuit.

Or, your not letting it warm up enough. Mine will die if it's cold.

New to Katriders? Click Here!

Comment

im confused if the bike is running and your holding the clutch in and kick it in gear does the bike launch or die (all with the clutch lever pulled in)
                              if it dies side stand switch or wiring to it.
                              if it launches clutches sticking or in need of adjustment.

Comment

Working...
                              X