X

Maybe a cooling problem?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Maybe a cooling problem?

Ok, so I just finished putting cylinders, new rings, and a jet kit in the bike today. Got everything together and tried starting it and cranked it over until the battery died. I then smelled the battery rotten egg smell so I removed it and sure enough it was leaking fluid. So I went to get a new battery and figured while I was in town I would get plugs just in case that was the reason it wouldn't start and some dry gas and filled a can full of 93 octane. Got home, dumped the old gas out, put inthe new plugs and bettery, she started right up. I put a fan on her and then played with the thumb screw on the carbs until she was idling at around 1250 rpms. I decided I would let her run a few more minutes and gave it a lil gas to see if it was missing or anything. I never had her over 4k on the tach. She ran about 6 or 7 minutes id say and I noticed the engine was alot warmer on the kickstand side than the exhaust side. I was a little worked up that the engine was warm already after that little time but I chalked it up to not moving. My main concern was why did the one side warm up faster than the other? Was it due to leaning on the kick stand or something wierd? Or is it just normal that one side gets warmer than the other? Also maybe the fan was hitting one side more than the other. Just seemed odd to me and also the cylinder that was bad from before was cyclinder 1 and that the side that was heating faster. If it wasn't for that I would not have thought twice but I don't want to have history repeat itself and have to do all this again. Any input would be great.

Also wanted to say that the jet kit I used was a dynajet and the air to fuel screws are all at 3 turns as it says and everything was clean and good in them. Just in case someone was thinking I had the carb on cylinder 1 all muffed up. I double checked them after this happened.

Comment

You never said if you did a Carb Sync after you did all that work you could have 1 or 2 cylinders running really lean and making the one side too hot.

Comment

Got it...Turns out a jet(not the main jet, one of the other ones) fell off into my bowl and the whole cylinder was flooded. I cleaned them while I was in the carbs and must not have tightened it down...my bad. It was weird that my bike still idled and reved up a bit without a miss when cylinder 4 was totally flooded out. But I didn't rev it too high because of the new rings and stuff. I assume that if I had got it above 4k it would have been horrible. Runs great now though.

Comment

Good to hear. Good luck with the new engine.

Comment

Working...
          X