X

what if...

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what if...

someone was to skip the carb sync and valve clearance check scheduled maintenance?
    Just curious what could happen
    I bought a used bike and the previous owner didn't use it long enough to get to the 2nd 7.5k maintenance so we didn't know if it was done.

Best case- Nothing, it just keeps on running.
    Next case- Bike doesn't idle or accelerate well.
    Worst case- You ruin a valve.

I'd go ahead and service it and reset the maintenance interval from where you are.

Comment

You bought a used bike with a unknown history - I'd probably ride it if it runs good and doesn't make excessive noise, then get it serviced up this winter.
      2000 Katana 600
      2011 Triumph Sprint GT

Comment

Checking the valves is more critical. Usually the synch is only done after doing something that can alter the air flow through each cylinder. When the bike is need of a carb synch you might find it has a bouncy idle, increased vibrations, and possibly runs hotter. Although not full proof, listening to the valves can provide some insight as to their condition. (It is helpful to have another Kat to compare to since the valves on these bikes are louder than most others). If the valves are adjusted, then you will want to carb synch.
        -2000 "750"

Comment

Not that this will happen to you but this is what happens when valve clearences go bad.

How To Install Race Tech Emulators & Rebuild Forks
          How To Repack Yoshimura RS3 Exhaust
          How To Install Oil Cooler Fans
          How To Install Audiovox Cruise Control On A 1998+ Katana

Comment

Originally posted by squiggy View Post
            Not that this will happen to you but this is what happens when valve clearences go bad.

Ack! Don't do that without warning!

To the OP: Proper valve adjustment makes a world of difference. Better response, smoother ride, more fun in the sack, world peace.. Okay, might be goin' a bit far with the world peace bit; that'd almost certainly require full Yoshi exhaust and an Ivan's jet kit..

--B

Comment

Originally posted by Maxxrox View Post
              Okay, might be goin' a bit far with the world peace bit; that'd almost certainly require full Yoshi exhaust and an Ivan's jet kit..

--B
              since you are not supposed to use a full exhaust with an Ivan's jet kit, I don't think that will help world peace.

Comment

they are clicking for a reason, get them adjusted....

I dont have "hobbies" I'm developing a robust Post-Apocalyptic skill set....

http://www.excessivehoppyness.blogspot.com

Comment

Originally posted by arsenic View Post
                  since you are not supposed to use a full exhaust with an Ivan's jet kit, I don't think that will help world peace.
                  I was under the impression that only certain Ivan's jet kit/bike/exhaust combos had major issues? Specifically cited on the website as not playing nice was the R1.

Given that the Kat isn't exactly an ultra fine-tuned track-bred machine, I'm doubting there'd be huge difficulties. At worst, you may need to shim the needles.

Besides, Yoshi pipes sound so smooth and sweet, how could they not foster world peace?!

--B

Comment

that's why Ivan does this and you don't. Considering that running a full exhaust has NOTHING to do with the needles. It has EVERYTHING to do with the main jets. Ivan's kit only provides one set of main jets. I don't see shimming the needles as a viable solution, even a little bit.
                    Last edited by arsenic; 06-09-2009, 01:56 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by arsenic View Post
                      that's why Ivan does this and you don't.
                      Haha! There's the truth. </threadjack>

--B

Comment

ok thanks guys!!
                        maybe I can have them look into the "knocking" sound i think i'm hearing when idling at redlights, hopefully it's just in my head

Comment

Working...
                        X