X

Front sprocket cover removal

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Front sprocket cover removal

Just wondering if there's anything tricky about removing the front sprocket cover to get at the speedometer sensor nut.

My speedo is very wonky so I been searched around a bunch on here and have a similar problem as a few others I've seen. The sprocket cover is cracked right where the sensor mounts to it and when i removed the sensor today the nut underneath is loose. Something must have flung up there and jammed, cracking the cover and loosening the nut. I am hoping I can just take the cover off, and tighten the nut back onto the sprocket and I'll be good. If not there might be a new sprocket cover in my future.

I don't have a ton of tools here at my apartment, so I just need to know if i'm going to run into anything interesting. I know the clutch cable is mounted to the sprocket cover, can i just leave that intact and still get it off?

Thanks in advance!

yes you can leave the clutch cable attached. In fact I believe it's recommended. I'm pretty sure all you need is an allen key and to remember where each screw goes.
    Let's go riding!

Comment

Comment

give the sprocket cover and area it covers a good cleaning while you're in there. it usually gets all packed full of flung off chain lube and all sorts of road gunk. i've seen um with just little tunnels for the chain to run thru. oh, and for the screws, just poke them thru a piece of cardboard or heavy paper in the approximate places they belong in the cover
        Last edited by DumbLuck; 06-09-2009, 03:17 AM.
        99% of the questions asked here can be answered by a 2 minute search in the service manual. Get a service manual, USE IT.
        1990 Suzuki GSX750F Katana
        '53 Ford F250 pickumuptruck
        Lookin for a new Enduro project

Comment

or you can just look here.

Crankcase cover bolts

Comment

i always set them under the bike in the pattern they go on.

Comment

that works great, until you kick em one time

Comment

Originally posted by arsenic View Post
                that works great, until you kick em one time
                So true
                2006 Katana 750 - Daily therapy
                2005 ZZR1200 - Weekend therapy

Comment

Cardboard, draw a outline of the cover. It doesn't have to be perfect, just gives you a idea of where the bolts will go, That is the next step, put a dot for each bolt. use a phillips head screw driver to put a small hole at each bolt spot. now that you did that, take each bolt out and put it in the location on the cardboard! The cardboard will hold the bolts in place and you can even toss it around
                  TDA Racing/Motorsports
                  1982 Honda CB750 Nighthawk, 1978 Suzuki GS750 1986 Honda CBR600 Hurricane; 1978 Suzuki GS1100E; 1982 Honda CB750F supersport, 1993 Suzuki Katana GSX750FP. 1981 Suzuki GS1100E (heavily Modified) http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=94258
                  Who knows what is next?
                  Builder of the KOTM Mreedohio september winning chrome project. I consider this one to be one of my bikes also!
                  Please look at this build! http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=91192

Comment

Thanks for the info guys. What should i clean it with? Just a rag and wipe it out? or try to pick up some grease remover at an auto parts store or something?

Comment

use brake parts cleaner. That cleans EVERYTHING.

Comment

So I took the sprocket cover off and screwed in the allen bolt holding that castle nut in place and the speedometer works like a charm now. Thanks guys.

And to think the guy i bought the bike from ran it like that the whole time he owned it. He said it would be major work to tear apart the engine to fix it.

Comment

I hope I can join in here. I might have a similar problem. Katana 1100 -1989 - (I assume this might be the same up to about '93)
                          I recently had my front and rear sprockets replaced and a new 530 chain installed. (after 31 years on he original 532) During the replacement, I was told the spine had a problem from a wobbling sprocket? They installed the new sprocket, with a new nut and lock washer. But said it was possible that the nut could possibly back off. They could only fix it by getting a new spline which meant taking the whole engine out to replace it! That scared me.
                          So I could not afford that and had them put it back together with the new nut and lock washer. BUT, they said it is ride-able and I could remove the cover periodically, go to the sprocket after about 300miles/KM and just tighten the nut up and do it again if it seemed to loosen.
                          I am wondering if this sounds right to anyone? I have not taken the sprocket cover off yet but hope this is possible for me to do to tighten up the nut. (IF it has backed off)
                          Any ideas what I should be looking for once I remove the cover?
                          My bike is in excellent condition and I want to keep it running.
                          Thanks for any help.
                          Bob

Comment

Working...
                          X