X

Neutral Light is stuck on!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Neutral Light is stuck on!

I was riding the other day and when I glanced down at my instrament panel, I noticed that my neutral light was on (and no, I wasn't in neutral). This was a couple of weeks ago and I still have the same problem. Every once in a while when i start the bike (in gear), the light will be off. But when I start driving it, it comes on and stays on. Where do I look to fix this?

I had the exact oposite problem on my 2000 (600), the light wouldn't come on even though it was in neutral. I replaced the neutral switch assembly and that took care of it. You may have to do the same thing. Look at Chapter 8 of the Haynes manual found at this link.
    A forum filled with write-ups, FAQ's, and visual aids for
    mechanical & cosmetic modifications to your Katana.

Page 8-18 tells you how to check and determine if it's a faulty switch by testing continuity. It is a simple replacement on a gen 2 Kat, just don't forget to reinstall or replace the O-Ring on the switch, it will leak if you don't.
    2000 Katana 600, Hooligan Bike
    2005 FJR 1300 ABS
    2001 Ninja 500 Hooligan Bike

When all ya got is hammers, everything looks like a nail - Unknown

Comment

Bulb?

Comment

Originally posted by 2K Katrider View Post
        I had the exact oposite problem on my 2000 (600), the light wouldn't come on even though it was in neutral. I replaced the neutral switch assembly and that took care of it. You may have to do the same thing. Look at Chapter 8 of the Haynes manual found at this link.
        A forum filled with write-ups, FAQ's, and visual aids for
        mechanical & cosmetic modifications to your Katana.

Page 8-18 tells you how to check and determine if it's a faulty switch by testing continuity. It is a simple replacement on a gen 2 Kat, just don't forget to reinstall or replace the O-Ring on the switch, it will leak if you don't.

Comment

I have that problem, seems to come up every 4-6 months. All I've done is remove the neutral switch, wipe off the contacts, check the pin and spring moves pushing it in a few times, close it up.

Comment

power comes into the gauge cluster to the bulb, then via the blue wire down to the neutral switch behind the drive sprocket cover. from the switch power goes to ground via the motor when in neutral to finish the circuit. follow the blue wire all the way from the bulb down to the neutral switch lookin for shorts or rubbed off insulation, or melty multi-connectors etc. if nothing is found, check the switch for continuity & proper function as it's prolly the culpret.
            99% of the questions asked here can be answered by a 2 minute search in the service manual. Get a service manual, USE IT.
            1990 Suzuki GSX750F Katana
            '53 Ford F250 pickumuptruck
            Lookin for a new Enduro project

Comment

Originally posted by DumbLuck View Post
              power comes into the gauge cluster to the bulb, then via the blue wire down to the neutral switch behind the drive sprocket cover. from the switch power goes to ground via the motor when in neutral to finish the circuit. follow the blue wire all the way from the bulb down to the neutral switch lookin for shorts or rubbed off insulation, or melty multi-connectors etc. if nothing is found, check the switch for continuity & proper function as it's prolly the culpret.

In any other position except neutral, the switch, therefore the bulb, sees 12V.

The neutral position completes the circuit.
              How To Install Race Tech Emulators & Rebuild Forks
              How To Repack Yoshimura RS3 Exhaust
              How To Install Oil Cooler Fans
              How To Install Audiovox Cruise Control On A 1998+ Katana

Comment

Working...
              X