X

Air Filter/power questions

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Air Filter/power questions

Just thought i would ask....is changing to an aftermarket airfilter "that" big of a difference or is a stock one just fine? Im not sure if mine needs replaced..but i havent replaced it in.....4 years so i imagine its time for a new one right?

Im really sorry but im about as smart as a bag of rocks when it comes to motorcycle engines...and what all "tricks" or upgrades (aside from a pipe i already did that) can i do to add more power to my bike *I have had this bike for about 4 or 5 years now and i wanna keep it a lil longer*

Stock is the best option for the katana unless you go all the way with aftermarket exhaust (including headers) ivans/factory pro jet kit and proper tuning. Most aftermarket will actually decrease the performance without the addition of those mods.
    Katriders.com, we've got dumb answers!

Comment

Stick with the stock filter. If you have an air gun just take the filter out now and again and blow air from the outside to blow the dirt back into the core. That'll keep it working great.

Comment

Ok so stick with stock but what else can i do to add power to my bike

I heard of these ways but do i need anything before hand to do all this?

- Jet Kit
        - Ignition advancer
        - going 1 or 2 up on the rear sprocket

Comment

The first two yeah, go for it. The third won't increase power, but it will give you a bit more acceleration off the mark.

So far as fitting goes, everything can be done with normal tools, but you'd need to sync the carbs after fitting the jet kit, for which you'd need a carb sync tool. You can of course sync the carbs by feel if you know how to.

Comment

Originally posted by Robgsxf750 View Post
            The first two yeah, go for it. The third won't increase power, but it will give you a bit more acceleration off the mark.

So far as fitting goes, everything can be done with normal tools, but you'd need to sync the carbs after fitting the jet kit, for which you'd need a carb sync tool. You can of course sync the carbs by feel if you know how to.
            increased accel is actually what im wanting most, to be honest, but thanks alot for your input...i will look into it all...thanks bud!

Comment

Originally posted by Just5cents View Post
              increased accel is actually what im wanting most, to be honest, but thanks alot for your input...i will look into it all...thanks bud!
              If that's what you want go 14/50. I will personally vouch for the incredible jump in acceleration. City riding was a freaking breeze after that, I never needed more than 1/4 throttle in any gear.
              90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
              I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
              Originally posted by soulless kaos
              but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

Air filter is definitely due for replacement. I have 'em in stock and get $33 plus shipping for 'em.

You've hit the three major upgrades in the nose:
                advancer (I normally carry these, ran out literally today, one due in late this week, lots due in next week),
                jetkit -- for your year and make I specifically recommend the Ivan's kit ( www.ivansperformanceproducts.com ) as both the best improvment in mid-range torque and the simplest to install (because there is no need for post-tuning);
                Sprocket & chain upgrades (increase effective torque, remove power-sapping chain if in bad condition).

Aside from those, you may also want to look at this small mod that will increase your top-end performance a little bit: CyberPoet's "How to grind out your sloppy exhaust header weld seams for better performance".

After that, it's pretty much bigger engine or different bike time if you're solely concerned about acceleration (there is no replacement for displacement).

Cheers
                =-= The CyberPoet
                Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Working...
                X