Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

Shes just getting harder and harder to start...

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shes just getting harder and harder to start...

Hi everyone, i was hoping that some of you who have greater bike experience than me would give me some help with my bike.

Bike: GSX250S Katana
    Year: 1992
    Mileage: 24k
    Crashes: non - except a stationary drop in which my bike was on its stand but pointing down a hill and the vibrations of the bikes engines cause it to move off its stand and onto its left side.

Pretty much i bought this bike from its previous owner at 22,000. He said he used to to commute to and from work. He said that the only problem with starting is that it wouldnt start once in a while other than that it started fine. If on the odd occasion it wouldnt start he said to use a spray thingy that you spray into the air box/filter that would make it start.

This was all well and true until i dropped it and since then its been a pain in the arse to start.

Heres a vid: [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M6Ld3K-eFDk"]YouTube - Sad sad story of me trying to start my bike[/ame]

Side notes:
    - I don't normally use choke because i found it did about nothing to help it start in the past and present.
    - I have a fuel filter between the tank and engine.

time for the regular maint. fresh plugs, air filter, clean the carbs (set floats, sync too), fresh oil and filter if you aint did that in a few thousand miles. The battery sounds like it's charged, but make sure it's showing at least 12.5v resting.

the choke (fuel enrichment system) is there for a reason, use it. once it starts you dont have to leave it on for more than a minute. You shouldnt have to prime it either unless it's sat for more than a few days.
    99% of the questions asked here can be answered by a 2 minute search in the service manual. Get a service manual, USE IT.
    1990 Suzuki GSX750F Katana
    '53 Ford F250 pickumuptruck
    Lookin for a new Enduro project

Comment

Yeah, you need the choke to start it. Maybe not full choke, but you need some. Try a little at a time and see if it sounds better at 1/4, 1/3, 1/2 etc...

Do you not have a low oil pressure light? I didn't see one lit up.
      90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
      I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
      Originally posted by soulless kaos
      but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

Do the easy stuff first. Plugs take about 20 mins to change, and may get you going right away. Then change the rest of the regular maintenance stuff too.
        -
        -

I poured spot remover on my dog. Now he's gone.

Comment

Originally posted by DumbLuck View Post
          time for the regular maint. fresh plugs, air filter, clean the carbs (set floats, sync too), fresh oil and filter if you aint did that in a few thousand miles. The battery sounds like it's charged, but make sure it's showing at least 12.5v resting.

the choke (fuel enrichment system) is there for a reason, use it. once it starts you dont have to leave it on for more than a minute. You shouldnt have to prime it either unless it's sat for more than a few days.

Krey
          93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

yeah sorry forgot to add this vid was taken after i changed sparkies (i also made sure there was spark) and i also changed both filters ..

i put prime on because i need to let abit of fuel through as i have a filter on the petrol line as well (dad put it there *shrugs*)

anyway ill give my carbs and what not a look at after exams (eeek) time for me to sleep .. its 6am over here lol =\

Comment

full choke and don't touch the throttle

but how fast it whips over it sounds like has no compression at all
              98 GSX750F
              95 Honda VT600 vlx
              08 Tsu SX200

HardlyDangerous Motosports

Comment

If I remember right in line fuel filters have a history of messing with the kat. Someone may need to confirm (by doing a little search button action).

If you have to use pri then that's a pretty good indication that the fuel system is being starved.
                Last edited by HexKrak; 06-08-2009, 05:41 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
                Katriders.com, we've got dumb answers!

Comment

1:49 was great
                  Let's go riding!

Comment

Originally posted by HexKrak View Post
                    If I remember right in line fuel filters have a history of messing with the kat. Someone may need to confirm (by doing a little search button action).

If you have to use pri then that's a pretty good indication that the fuel system is being starved.
                    If there isn't anything to push the fuel through (fuel pump for example), most fuel filters will restrict the flow of fuel enough on the pre kats to starve the engine for fuel based on gravity alone. This most often would cause issues with acel and running over 4k, as enough gets through to idle and start (if any if flowing at all).

I really think it's just very lean to start.... may be dirty pilot jets, off float settings, or simply incorrect air/fuel settings..

Krey
                    93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

so what ive deduced from all this is...

take the damn filter off
                      try full choke no throttle
                      if those two fail (probably) then take it apart and clean her up

Comment

Go with gas filter ..plugs ... Air filter , much easyier then messing with your carbs

Comment

Try full choke for 10-15 sec. or until it revs up.
                          sigpic

RIP CP
                          50th Anniv R6
                          95 Katana 600
                          http://www.assfaultjunkies.com/index.php

Comment

OK, get dad out to the garage, and have him help you. You've got a good battery (before I watched the video, I was suspicious that your battery might have lost acid or slammed plates together, but the starter is spinning correctly). Next step is to check for spark -- possibility that one of the spark plug or distributor wires is loose. The step after that would be the run switch (which side did the bike fall to?) -- if it broke a solder lead, bike won't run...

Cheers
                            =-= The CyberPoet
                            Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

if the run switch broke he'd not get the starter to turn over. he also said he's got new plugs and checked for spark. my bet is really on the fuel,,,,,,,86 the filter and clean the pilot circuit. and use the choke when it's not warmed up
                              99% of the questions asked here can be answered by a 2 minute search in the service manual. Get a service manual, USE IT.
                              1990 Suzuki GSX750F Katana
                              '53 Ford F250 pickumuptruck
                              Lookin for a new Enduro project

Comment

Working...
                              X