Smoking Engine

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Smoking Engine

Hey all,

I'm pretty new to riding. I just got my M class last weekend so I decided to take my 1990 Katana 750 out for a ride this weekend. About half an hour or 45 mins into the ride the engine started smoking so i took her home. There was no smoke coming out of the exhaust. It looked almost like the smoke was coming off of the outside of the engine. (there is a bit of oil seepage near the gasket seal and i had a few leaks fixed about a month ago). Is it possible that I was just burning off the oil on the outside of the engine or does this sound like a bigger problem? Any advise would be great (try to put it simple terms, I'm no mechanic).

Thanks!

Sounds like you may have an oil leak above the exhaust. Clean the front of the engine good, and make sure your oil level is okay, then run the engine for a few minutes to see if there is a noticeable leak.
    2006 Katana 750 - Daily therapy
    2005 ZZR1200 - Weekend therapy

Comment

It could also be residual oil spray from something like WD40 that the mechanic used when he remove the bolts to fixed the leaks. This should burn off in time. If however the smoke does not subside with time then you got another leak.

Tok

Comment

Thanks guys. Do i need an engine degreaser to get the old oil off of the engine or can i just spray it down?

Comment

You could spray it down or just ride it till the smoke stops.

Tok

Comment

twill be far easier to identify any leaks if you degrease and high pressure it off first.
            Joker
            The newest addition to the Family!
            sigpic
            stop by the garage for a better look!

Comment

Seems to be ok now. Didn't smoke at all this weekend. I must have burned it all off last weekend. Washed it today and degeased the engine. I guess if it still seeping I'll be able to tell now. Thanks again guys.

Comment

Working...
              X